We’re looking for a full time Veterinary Surgeon to join our amazing, welfare focussed team RSPCA at Greater Manchester Animal Hospital on a full time, permanent basis.
Our Greater Manchester Animal Hospital has a large and varied caseload and can accommodate up to 100 animals at any one time with over 20,000 animals passing through the doors annually, the vast majority being small animals but can also include wildlife. The hospital provides a 24 hour veterinary service for sick or injured animals.
You’ll be joining a team of 11 Veterinary Surgeons, supported by 15 Nurses and Hospital Assistants who are dedicated to providing care to vulnerable animals and supporting the RSPCA to improve welfare and prepare animals for finding new loving homes. We’re a close-knit team with a shared passion for improving animal welfare and an ethos for learning from fellow colleagues.
We’re looking for a pragmatic vet that is ideally experienced in routine surgery, and has an interest in animal welfare work and shelter medicine. You’ll benefit from being a good communicator and enjoy working as part of a team. Training and mentoring will be provided to support the successful candidate to perform routine consultations and routine surgeries quickly and safely.
What you’ll be doing as a Veterinary Surgeon:
- Performing consultations and treatment of owned and unowned animals
- Attending to a very varied and interesting case load
- Undertaking a wide variety of surgical procedures for the animals in our care including high volume/quality cat neutering
- Providing veterinary opinion and support for welfare prosecution cases (training will be provided)
- Undertaking emergency and out of hours duties on a roster basis
- Implementing RSPCA policies in regards to the re-homability of unowned animals including following a structured decisions making process (training will be provided)
- Identifying and coordinating research projects, and providing support and advice to other RSPCA colleagues
- Participating in veterinary student teaching (once suitably experienced) as we operate a final year student charity rotation for the University of Bristol
- Providing veterinary advice to public clients and RSPCA colleagues
- A willingness to be filmed for media work is an advantage
- Membership of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Previous clinical experience
- The ability to perform routine consultations and routine surgeries quickly and safely
- The ability to be sensitive to the financial constraints of owners in the treatment of their animals
You’ll have an opportunity to work for the largest animal welfare charity in England and Wales.
We value and recognise our employees’ contribution and are proud to offer an extensive benefits package that includes:
- 35 hours standard working week, most shifts are daytime shifts from 8am - 4pm,
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days with service;
- a generous pension scheme with associated life assurance and group income protection scheme;
- access to private healthcare scheme;
- support for professional development including £1000/year CPD budget after qualifying period
- paid VDS and MRCVS registration fees
- access to our employee assistance programme.
You’ll be working a 35 hour working week (08:00 - 16:00) with out of hours on a rostered basis.
If you’d like to join our team and make a real difference to animal welfare we would love to hear from you!
To submit your application click the apply button, quoting reference VS6510