Here at Pride Veterinary Centre we are looking for an exotics veterinary surgeon to join our team! You will spend your day between three main areas. These include:
1) The Consulting Room - You will be dealing directly with clients and interacting with the other vet teams.
2) Wards- You will manage the care of inpatients, communicating with owners, generating plans for diagnosis and treatment, and carrying out procedures on your cases.
3) Prep and Theatre- You will carry out procedures such as dentals and imaging, while in theatre you perform a variety of surgical operations.
There are endless opportunities for you to expand your knowledge and improve your skills by working closely with an Exotic double diplomate (ECZM-SM and ABVP-ECM). You will be able to work efficiently, understanding the time constraints and fast pace of a busy private small animal hospital and with other members of the Referral Team.
This role is solely focused on exotics and is a full time position working 40 hours per week. You will take part in our exotics weekend rota, when you work the weekend, you will have two lieu days the week after, on a rotation schedule basis.
The salary for this role would be up to £40,000 depending on experience.
We are the largest provider of Veterinary Care in the East Midlands. The hospital is based at Pride Park in Derby and is home to a busy first opinion practice, a multidisciplinary referral service and an out-of-hours service.
The Exotic Pets and Zoological Medicine department at Pride Veterinary Centre is currently comprised of one clinician [a double diplomate (ECZM-SM and ABVP-ECM)], a First Opinion Exotic Vet and 2 Exotic Nurses (soon to be 3 Exotic Nurses). We are now looking to recruit a new exotic vet.
Our current case load for Exotic Pets and Zoological Medicine varies between 20 and 25 new cases a week, between 1st Opinion, 2nd Opinion and Referral Cases. We are seeing approximately 50% small mammals, 25% reptiles, 20% avian, and 5% zoological and wildlife species. The service works alongside various disciplines: internal medicine, surgery, neurology, anaesthesia, ophthalmology, dermatology, imaging, oncology and cardiology.
1) Experienced in exotic animal work (ideally a minimum of 2 years exotic/mix animal practice)
2) Good communication skills, punctuality, ability to work and think clearly under pressure, good interpersonal and enthusiasm for exotic pets and zoological medicine
3) Be able to work efficiently, understanding the time constraints and fast pace of a busy private small animal hospital
4) Ability to make decisions, prioritise and delegate.
5) Commitment to continuous development
6) Be a member of the RCVS
7) Good English language both verbal and written
Benefits - Subject to Pro Rata:
- CPD paid days and allowance
- L&D opportunities through the IVC Evidensia Academy
- Enhanced family-friendly policies, including maternity/paternity/adoption/shared parental and surrogacy pay
- Private Medical Insurance
- BVA Membership paid
- VDS cover
- Birthday leave
- Discounted veterinary fees
- Various discounts including retail & gym memberships
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Service-related company sick pay
- Sponsorship for overseas employees
- Initiatives focused on employee wellbeing
- Relocation packages
- Career progression opportunities
- Free flu jabs
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch.
Please quote BH4498 when applying for this role.
To submit your application click the apply button.