A really friendly supportive team, great nursing care, great facilities and we encourage a great lifestyle.
South Devon Veterinary hospital is located in the beautiful Devon village of Abbotskerswell, not far from the greenery of Dartmoor and the sea at Torbay.
We have a purpose built facility within (as the address suggests!) an Old cider works. The nursing team are trained in all aspects of hospital work, this includes use of advanced anaesthesia techniques (full supported training is provided).
The nursing team participate in all areas of the practice. We do carry out a lot of referral surgery including a significant amount of referral Ophthalmology surgery plus Laparoscopy, soft tissue and some orthopaedic surgery. We also do first opinion surgeries. Further facilities include CT, ultrasound, digital radiography and dental radiography and Endoscopy suite along with a visiting referral Cardiology service. There is lots more information about our referral services on our referral website - http://www.southdevonref.co.uk.
The team at the hospital work fantastically well and are also very welcoming to new members. We pride ourselves in having made adjustments to the nursing rota to try and encourage "down-time" where possible, so our weekend cover is split so you either cover a Saturday (when the practice is only open on a Saturday morning then it is inpatient cover) or a Friday/Sunday (which is just inpatient care) Our first opinion out of hours is located to an external Emergency service which means the nursing teams do not cover out of hours phone answering.
The practice consists of 6 permanent vets with visiting referral cardiology. Our nursing team consists of seven qualified RVN’s, and two ANA’s.
We are located in an idyllic village on the outskirts of Dartmoor. We have the benefits of Torbay and its beaches along with Dartmoor and the outdoor activities it offers whilst also being within 1 hour drive to the cities of Exeter and Plymouth.
- We are looking for a positive, hard working and keen to learn Full or Part-time RVN with a lean towards surgery and anaesthesia. Whilst our nursing work load is predominantly surgery based, we would expect the candidate to be happy and willing to assist elsewhere as required.
- We aim to maximise the use of our skilled nursing team and encourage them to grow and learn whilst they work. There will be opportunities to potentially learn new anaesthesia skills and hopefully encourage a successful candidate to blossom into being a confident nurse with advanced anaesthesia skills.
- The role will include setting up specialist theatres, getting kits ready, calculating & administering medications, fluid calculations, placing catheters, learning advanced anaesthesia techniques (including the use of neuromuscular blockade) and implementing them, use of ventilators (full training given), use of multiparameter monitors, endoscope maintenance (with training) along with general nursing duties.
- We promote and encourage CPD (and will fund appropriate CPD generously). We try to nurture any interests that our nurses have and encompass it where we can in practice. We are pleased to say we have supported one of our nurses through her surgical advanced nursing diploma
- This position offers a good opportunity for learning and growth with full support from experienced Qualified RVN's and referral specialists.
- Qualified and RCVS registered Nurse. A positive attitude and enthusiasm to learn with a surgical/anaesthesia interest. This doesn’t mean you must have existing advanced anaesthesia knowledge, but you must be keen to learn about it.
- The majority of our nursing team have come from general first opinion practice backgrounds and we offer full training and support in any areas that you are unfamiliar with. A successful candidate will be a great team player and willing to help out where required if asked.
- Our rota, staff benefits package and salary are benchmarked against other jobs in the area.
- Benefits include: a generous salary (where experience and further qualifications are further rewarded); extra leave for long service; a shift pattern designed to promote a great work-life balance, allowing for a day off before and after a night shift and allowing a day off following a half weekend on call – we’re happy to chat you through the details!
- We promote and encourage CPD (and will fund appropriate CPD generously). We try to nurture any interests that our nurses have and encompass it where we can in practice.
- We have a staff pension scheme in place and other schemes such as childcare vouchers where appropriate.
Please phone our head nurse Jo for a chat on 01626 367972 and to submit your application click the apply button below.