Are you a small animal Vet who wants to work in an amazing 13 Vet team, at an independent Practice with superb facilities, where everyone is treated as an individual and not just a payroll number? Where colleagues say:
“The Management Team care about making sure we don't overwork ourselves. From my experience, things like being able to leave on time, and getting time back in lieu when that's not possible, are pretty unheard of elsewhere!” Vet Louise
“I love having time to research, prepare and work up my own cases. I would say it’s one of the major things I’ve found since being here. It is great having time to follow through on everything and not drag it over from day to day!” Vet Hannah
“It is a fun place to work, with people who are 100% committed to working hard to produce a great service for the customers and their colleagues alike. I find everyone to be very helpful and I do feel cared for and appreciated.” Insurance Administrator Jude
We are a multi award winning, small animal and exotics Practice, just south of Bristol. We have grown rapidly over the last 7 years and now have purpose-built Practice in Portishead, built to hospital standards as well as purpose-designed Practice in Nailsea. The Yatton site also enjoyed a full refurbishment this year. We have superb facilities including laparoscopy, video endoscopy, bronchoscopy, dental x-ray and ultrasound with Doppler and linear probes. Portishead is also home to our rehabilitation service, hydro.vet, with our in house Physiotherapist and Hydro-therapist offering a wide range of services including the use of our underwater treadmill and therapeutic laser. We also have some very exciting plans just around the corner!
We are fiercely independent, with owners who are committed, enthusiastic and 100% involved in all areas of the business. Steve, the main owner qualified in 1993 and is a small animal vet who is passionate about the veterinary profession as a whole. We are incredibly proud of our team. We are all dedicated, hard-working and have fun when we can, but when things get difficult, we pull together as one.
We have a wealth of knowledge and a diversity of skills amongst out Vet team. Mario (Group Medical Director) and Cristina are both Advanced Practitioners in Small Animal Medicine and Feline Medicine respectively, and both are about to start on imaging certificates as well! Amongst the other vets, 7 have, either completed or are on their way to completing certificates ranging from ophthalmology, medicine, surgery and exotics. We even have a TV vet among us, James, who works on “The Pets Factor” (CBBC), Morning Live (BBC) and The Pet Show (ITV).
We are a very forward-thinking Practice and are often approach by other companies to trial new ideas or systems; for example, we were one of the Practices who were given early use of Librela and Solensia. We also do a lot of work with The Guide Dogs; we are one of only two sites outside the Guide Dog Centre who are approved to take hip and elbow x-rays for their breeding stock.
We cannot emphasise how much we think communication is the key, both with our clients and amongst our colleagues. For example, we do not do the dreaded yearly appraisal, instead we have 1:1 catch ups every other month and an open-door policy, so we always know how you are. We have whole Practice meetings every 4 months, where we shut all the sites and get together over lunch. We also have vets’ meetings every 3 months, where we discuss cases and protocols.
We are a really sociable bunch outside work and enjoy big Practice parties, but also lots of smaller informal nights out, dog walking get togethers and we even a Strava running group! We really do look after each other and have been known to send hampers or a ‘hug in a box’ if someone is going through a tough time. We continuingly strive to create a better workplace and our efforts were recognised by being awarded ‘highly commended’ in the last VMG/SPVS Wellness Practice Awards.
The most important thing we are looking for is someone who enjoys being part of a caring team inside and outside of work. We would love you to:
- Hit the ground raring to go – we love listening so bring your ideas
- Enjoy a busy and varied case load and want to be the best GP they can, but perhaps with an area of interest which is crying out to be nurtured and developed.
- To be able to communicate complicated clinical options with clarity and compassion.
- Relish the challenge of complex medical and inpatient work, supported by amazing colleagues whose certificate level knowledge oozes from every corner of the practice
- Have good knowledge and understanding of our feline friends and bunny buddies (we have ISFM Gold Standard Cat Friendly Clinic and Silver RWAF Awards)
- Understand that doing our own out of hours, allows case continuity, takes away the hassle of transfers and benefits the client and patient, but also can be an opportunity for personal development
We would be happy to chat to you if you are looking to settle down and take your career to the next level, or perhaps you have a specialism you want to develop. Equally we would be able to support someone relatively new to the profession if they shared our enthusiasm and are a great communicator.
The role is 39 hours per week, and time off is given back if you work in excess of this. We do our own out of hours so there is a fair share of week nights and some weekends on call, but these would be no more that 1:6 weekends. Currently Saturdays, are mornings only and are approximately 1:12. The exact rota can be chatted through with you. While our Vets are contracted to work at all three sites, this role is likely to be predominately at our Nailsea Practice.
- Unlimited CPD budget - if it is the right course for you and works for the practice why wouldn’t we support you?!
- RCVS fees, VDS cover and professional membership fees. There’s no specific limit to professional fees, we’re happy to support you with your interests, whether that be exotics, imaging, surgery, whatever floats your boat.
- Your Birthday off – spend the day doing what you want!
- Salary that reflects your whole value, not just the number of procedures you perform (£35,000- £56,000 depending on experience)
- Time back if you work past your finish time (or help out a colleague at a weekend)
- Online GP (24 hour help at your fingertips) and Employee Assistance Programme
- Wellbeing Hub - free online meditation, sleep advice and wellbeing support
- Great staff discount
- Enhanced sick leave
- Holiday entitlement increases with length of service
- Perkbox - access to over 350+ perks, a Birthday Box, free treats and much more
- Scottish Widows Pension
If you would like to discuss the role further, please do hesitate to pick up the phone for an informal chat or if you’d like to apply, please apply to CV@vettimes.co.uk or press the apply button now.