SMALL ANIMAL VETERINARY SURGEON - New Graduates and experienced applicants welcomed
Location: North Lincolnshire
Hours: Permanent, Full time.
This is a great opportunity to advance your veterinary skills in the supportive environment of our superbly equipped practice. Whether you have dreams of being a surgeon doing Diploma-level procedures; a Diagnostic Imager with skills to produce and interpret images in all 4 modalities (radiography, ultrasound, MRI and CT); a budding cardiologist, ophthalmologist, someone with an interest in exotic medicine or a new graduate who wants to ‘have a go’ at anything medical and surgical before deciding which route you want to take in life, this is a great place to acquire and advance your skills. The practice is in the conservation area, a leafy suburb within 20 minutes’ drive of both the coast (all aquatic pass times well catered for locally) and the lovely walking in the Lincolnshire Wolds, the most picturesque region in Lincolnshire, great for walkers, riders and mountain bikers. See our website at www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk for details of what we have to offer and what our current veterinary team think about working here.
Benefits of working for this successful and well-respected practice are:
New graduate starting salary: £32k per annum with, in addition, 5 days funded CPD, a self-contained flat away from the main practice (if you want it) and memberships of RCVS, VDS and BSAVA paid by the practice. For a new graduate, total salary package including CPD, memberships and accommodation of around £44,000
- Salary for more experienced vets depends on their prior experience and skills. Certificate study is funded by the practice after passing the initial 6 months period of probation.
- Salaries rise as you gain experience and are also reviewed annually to account for inflation.
- Seven weeks annual leave with an additional two days off to make a long weekend following any weekend worked to ensure a pleasant work/life balance.
- For new graduates, RCVS approved Graduate Development Practice with a long history of great support.
- If you wish to study for a Certificate, fully funded certificate study including all course attendance in work time once you have completed your probationary period.
- RCVS/VDS/BSAVA Membership fees paid by the practice.
- Accommodation (modern flat away from the main surgery) can be provided if required.
- Hours: Mon – Fri 9am – 6pm, 1:8-9 night and weekend rota.
- Nights are 6pm-8pm at the surgery then on call at home. Call outs are few.
- Holiday Allowance: 35 days holiday per annum inclusive of Bank Holidays when not on rota to work with an additional two days off for every weekend worked. These are taken on the Thursday and Friday after a working weekend so you get a long weekend following every weekend which you work.
- CPD Leave Allowance: 5 days CPD leave per year or 10 days leave per year if you study for a certificate.
This is a fantastic opportunity for Veterinary Surgeon to join an independent first opinion and referral small animal practice in North East Lincolnshire.
The ideal candidate will be someone with the ambition to become an excellent vet performing at a level beyond the usual for general practice nationally.
We do not sell product. We attract clients by our excellent communication and diagnostic skills. There are no targets or protocols. We believe in clinical freedom for veterinary surgeons. We work in the best interests of our patients and their owners.
Personal development is key in this practice. This role offers the opportunity to hone your skills working with experienced veterinary professionals who are happy to teach advanced procedures and who have a work rota which supports this. We encourage certificate study, and both pay for the course in full and give additional CPD days to allow all course attendance to happen in work time.
This role is being offered on a permanent, full-time basis, hours worked over 5 days (8 hours 9-6pm). In addition, a one in eight (with new additional vet one in nine) out of hours night rota with one in 8/9 weekend rota, a long weekend (Thursday-Sunday) follows each weekend on call.
The practice is looking for a team player, who believes excellent client communication to build rapport with the long-term clients who are the basis of our success.
- RCVS registered or a new graduate who is about to qualify with a registrable degree.
- Full Driving licence valid in the UK.
- The right to work in the UK and some experience of UK practice either as a student who completed their university course here or as a qualified veterinary surgeon working in a UK practice.
- Excellent communication skills. Fluent English is a requirement for this role.
- Effective decision-making ability.
- Excellent Interpersonal skills. We are looking for a good fit with the rest of the practice team.
- Willingness to learn new skills and commitment to a culture of life-long learning.
Above everything else we need a colleague who we like and likes us and who is willing to learn new skills.
About the practice:
This is a first opinion and referral practice in North East Lincolnshire with three branches. The newly refurbished hospital facilities with dedicated orthopaedic and soft tissue theatres as well as the superbly equipped premises with in-house MRI suite, ultrasound, endoscopy, DR with PACS and GE 16 slice CT, make this an attractive and an impressive place to work.
The team consists currently of 8 Vets, 6 RVNs and 12 student nurses, so lots of experienced staff members to learn from and ask for advice. We are looking for a ninth vet. Anyone employed to fill this vacancy will be additional to the current team, so no ‘throwing you in at the deep end and leaving you to drown’. We are all happy to support you as you learn new skills and practice old ones.
In their own words, “We like to think that the practice has a happy and relaxed working atmosphere. We consider everyone to be part of the team and to be integral to our reputation and success.”
See how our staff describe working her in their own words at https://www.abbeyvetcentregrimsby.co.uk/staff-testimonials/