Veterinary Surgeon required at Blue House Veterinary Centre, Biddulph, Staffordshire
Perfect opportunity for a newly or recently qualified vet to join our fabulous supportive team. This is a new position rather than replacing anyone, so you won't be thrown in at the deep end! We know a lot of students have struggled to find EMS over the last 18 months so we expect you to need help and are ready to provide support. As all of our vet team have a minimum of 4 years' experience, we are all ready and able to give whatever help you need. Alongside our knowledgeable team of nurses (who will of course be key to your success) and accomplished receptionists (who know everything about the clients and who help control your diary - so be nice!), we all work together to provide a practice that is somewhere we all enjoy working in.
If you have more experience than needed for this role and are interested in working with us, then please get in touch! Getting the right person is the most important thing to us - let us know what you can offer, and we will see what we can do!
We have had a busy 2 years, firstly winning Petplan Practice of the Year 2019 and secondly moving into our amazing new building right before lockdown. You would be joining us at a very exciting time for the practice, as we begin to come out of lockdown (hopefully) and start to be able to enjoy and show off the fabulous facilities that we now have.
We truly value our staff and have been doing all we can to protect them during the COVID-19 situation. We are still currently working with no clients in the building (except for euthanasia) to protect as many as possible.
We could tell you all sorts about our practice – and if you look on our website you will get a much better idea of what we are about - but we think it can be best described by one of our vets:
"Blue House is a friendly, warm and progressive practice like no other with a great big heart at its core. Set in beautiful spacious premises with natural light throughout, it is a practice which feels like home. Complete clinical freedom but support from all sides should you need it, 20 minute consultations as a minimum, competitive salary, great CPD allowance, all the expected kit and qualified RVNs who know how to use it!
Blue House understand the importance of a good work/life balance – 100% dedication and care for our clients but also ample time off and a true appreciation for your hard work.
If you are looking for a job in which you can progress, feel supported, have the time and resources to be the best vet you can be and be surrounded by a great bunch of people who like to laugh then look no further. It really does tick all the boxes!
Take it from me, Blue House is one of a kind.”
We are more than happy for you to speak to any staff members past or present to find out what it is like to work for us!
• Well respected single site practice
• High levels of customer service expected and delivered (award-winning reception team of 7)
• Qualified, extremely competent, Nursing Team of 5 (we value the RVN qualification) plus a student
• Training practice (but maximum of 1 student to ensure highest quality of training and supervision)
• Approachable, down to earth team of 6 experienced vets who enjoy their job and practice a high standard of medicine
• Visiting specialists in orthopaedics, soft tissue surgery, ultrasound
• On site acupuncture service in our unique woodland room
• Outstanding premises - take a look at our photos to see what we mean!
• Cat Friendly silver certified (including cat only waiting room and cat only consult room)
• Separate cat ward, dog ward (with 6 large walk-in kennels as well as smaller kennels) and isolation ward
• Large prep room, two surgical theatres with ante room and changing area
• Separate dental theatre including dental x-ray
• Dedicated euthanasia room (with sofa, fireplace and soft lighting)
• Great equipment including digital imaging, multiparameter GA monitoring, tonopen, Blood pressure monitors etc.
• Option to take patients to a local practice for CT scan so you can follow your own cases
• Clinical office so you can work at a desk if you need to!
• Private practice garden with picnic table and sun loungers so you can eat lunch outside if you want (currently needs some green fingers but will be lovely soon - wildflower beds for bees already planted!)
• Fully equipped staff room including dishwasher, table to eat at, rocking chair and massage chair! (There is even a pool table and cross trainer, and a shower is being installed)
We are based in a semi-rural location in the small town of Biddulph on the Staffordshire/South Cheshire border. Lots of local green spaces. Easy reach of Manchester.
One of our vets has a PGCert in surgery, one provides acupuncture, another is just starting his ophthalmology certificate, and all our vets have over 4 years’ experience. Our nursing team have a variety of interests including exotics, wound management, anaesthesia and nutrition.
We are a cohesive and supportive team - whether discussing a difficult case, scrubbing in to an operation, looking at an x-ray, or helping with a difficult client or complaint. Our clinical meetings allow everyone to have an input and we act on what we discuss
We like to involve ourselves in the local community and have taken part in mud runs to raise funds for a local mental health unit and Vetlife. We also visit local schools and one of the directors is a STEM ambassador helping promote the sciences and supporting schools and community groups. We are a host practice for Pet Blood Bank.
As we have recently become part of IVC, we have access to their graduate Academy https://ivcevidensia.co.uk/graduate-academy with all the additional support and CPD opportunities that brings, including:
• Starting salary of £29k per year for a new graduate (of course this will be higher if you already have experience)
• All new graduates receive a welcome gift of £5,000, paid in 2 instalments.
• Dedicated clinical coach and mentor who'll always be on hand to help.
• Peer support network
• CPD programme, tailored to your needs and professional interests
• No OOH - closed on Sundays and Bank holidays, covered by Vets Now
• Only 1 in 4 Saturday mornings (8am-1pm only, with last hour blocked out) with qualified nurse and 2 receptionists – rota given 1 year in advance!
• 20 minute for all appointments as a minimum (40 minutes for euthanasia or complicated cases) - 30 minutes to start with!
• Same day and emergency only appointments on the diary every day to try and make sure we have time to deal with those little “extras”.
• Full hour for lunch, plus at least an hour booked each day for management (phone calls, case updates, CPD). Green spaces / National Trust properties close at hand if you like to get out of the practice over lunch time!
• An environment planned to emphasise wellbeing of staff and patients – large airy reception, consulting, and operating rooms with natural light throughout.
• Time off in lieu if you ever have to stay late (which should be rare)
• Support when needed – whether advice with a difficult case, help in an operation or looking at an x-ray, or help with a difficult client or complaint.
• Regular clinical meetings (in normal working hours) to discuss procedures, developments, problems, CPD, clinical audit, new equipment, ideas and planning.
• Fantastic, supportive and knowledgeable colleagues who enjoy coming to work and know how to work together.
A positive attitude, willingness to help and enthusiasm are most important.
You can't teach those!
We are looking for someone who has empathy with clients and their pets and a desire to practice good medicine. Someone who wants case continuity and to know the clients and patients they treat by name. The ability to communicate effectively with both clients and staff is vital. We value teamwork and appreciate staff taking part in case discussion and contributing ideas to improve our practice.
- 5 weeks paid holiday not including bank holidays
- 5 days paid CPD leave
- £1250 CPD Allowance per annum
- Private Medical Insurance
- VDS Membership paid
- BVA Membership paid
- Service based holiday entitlement increases
- VDS cover
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, shared parental leave and surrogacy pay
- Enhanced paternity pay
- Birthday leave
- Discounted veterinary fees
- My Benefits - various discounts including retail & gym memberships
- Cycle to Work scheme
- CPD/training support
- Paid bereavement leave
- Company sick pay
- Employee opinion survey
- Free uniform in a number of roles
- Annual pay reviews
- Social events
- Sponsorship for overseas employees
- Academy & Leadership courses
- Focus on employee wellbeing
- Relocation packages
- Career progression opportunities
- Free flu jabs
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch.
When applying for this role please quote job reference BH3188.
To submit your application click the apply button.