We are excited to recruit a Research Surgeon, on a full-time basis. You will be joining the Theatre Services at The Griffin Institute located in Northwick Park and Saint Mark’s Hospitals in Harrow, North London. The right candidate will be highly skilled, self-motivated and a great communicator with a passion to guide and develop the current team.
As a Research Surgeon you will span a range of biomedical sciences aimed at understanding and improving human health in order to assist developing better diagnosis and treatment outcomes.
We are looking for a confident and experienced Research Surgeon who can work independently and with the current team. We would like somebody who can provide a scientific input into the daily activities at the Institute. The ideal candidate would expand the current surgical skills and develop within the role. This post will report directly to the Director of Science.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Carrying out surgical procedures on contract research project
- Conducts necropsies.
- Compliance with Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- Take a role of study director.
- Take a role of Project Licence Holder
- Advising and discussing with contract research customers regarding study design,
- Animal husbandry
- Preparing and pre-medication of animals before transportation to the theatre suite (can be trained up)
- Anaesthetising animals by injection and inhalational techniques and supervision of anaesthesia during operative procedures (can be trained up)
- Liaison with veterinary surgeons on animal welfare issues and during regulatory visits
- Liaison with Home Office Inspector during their visits as necessary.
Essential Qualifications required:
- 2:2 or above of bioscientific degree (such as biology, pharmacology, biomedical science etc) or veterinary degree
- Good surgical skills in large and small animals.
- Experience with handling of both large (farm animal and small animals (rodent and rabbit)
Desirable Qualifications required:
- Experience with microsurgery (Neurovascular surgery)
- Experience with abdominal surgery (Operating on abdominal organs, bowels etc)