Full-Time Veterinary surgeon - Bridport, Dorset
Recent or experienced vet required to join great team and practice that enjoy providing high standards of care for their patients. Mixed SA/farm 70/30% practice. Good work-life balance, 1-in-6 rota nights/weekends. 4.5-day weeks (and 1-in-6 weeks are 4-day weeks).
Coastal West Dorset, 2 miles from the beach, Bridport, West Bay, 10 miles from Lyme Regis, 15 miles from Dorchester.
There are lots of holidaymakers who come to this area as it really is beautiful – with beaches, coastal walks/cycling, lovely places to visit and plenty of hills and picturesque countryside too. Bridport is a bustling market town with a market twice a week and a leisure centre with swimming pool and various events on through the year.
You get to enjoy driving around this lovely area whilst out on house/farm visits and admire the views!
- Friendly, supportive, great team of people – our team is a great asset.
- Approx 70% SA, 30% farm animal.
- 3 directors who run an independent practice and 3 assistant vets (2 are part-time), with a wealth of experience who enjoy working with each other and genuinely support each other.
- Fabulous nurse team - all RVNs.
- Great reception and support team who really care.
- We enjoy showing off our team with our up-to-date website.
- We are a busy practice with a great variety of cases and lovely clients.
- Purpose-built practice on one site, which extended in 2012. We have a lot of space inside and out. Separate staff and client car parks.
- We have a great reputation locally and acquire new clients through local recommendations.
- Open 8.30-6pm Mon-Fri and 9-1pm Sat (during COVID, we are closing at 5pm)
- We have RCVS Tier 2 PSS for small animal and farm animal and are working towards some ‘outstanding’ awards.
- Our aim is to excel in patient and client care as well as look after each other.
- We all enjoy doing our best and performing high standards of care. We strive to improve whenever we can. We discuss any interesting/difficult cases & learn from those that haven’t gone so well in order to improve.
- We hold regular meetings.
- We have our own IT support so that any problems get fixed quickly.
- COVID info: We have been proactive since the COVID pandemic began. We have many services now available on our website e.g. client registration, ordering food and medicines, subscribing to our pet health plan. We offer telephone consults. We have changed our phones and payment systems, which enable our receptionist team to work remotely from home. We are continuing to see clients outside and use CCTV to see that clients have arrived. We have employed animal handling assistants to help vets consulting. We are shortly starting video consults and a service to allow clients to book their own appointments via our website. We are wearing PPE and working in teams.
- We have 4 consulting rooms.
- We have a spacious prep room with several work stations, dog, cat and isolation wards, 2 theatres (1 dental theatre), imaging room (digital x-ray, ultrasound and rigid endoscopy), piped oxygen.
- Lots of other equipment: BP machine, ECG, in-house blood machine, microscope, orthopaedic equipment, infusion pumps, etc.
- We are cat friendly with separate waiting areas for dogs and cats with stands for cat baskets and a separate cat ward (see our virtual tour on our website).
- We see quite a few holidaymakers over the summer months and associated coastal problems such as dog’s falling from local cliffs (we featured on BBC news re ‘Shadow’ the dog-see our website and Facebook page), dogs swallowing fish-hooks and Adder bites.
- Dairy, beef, sheep as well as other species and small-holders.
- CHECS/SAHPS herd/flock accreditation schemes, BVD ‘Stamp it out’ and Red Tractor Health Schemes.
- There is some TB testing, but it is minimal because we have a lay TB tester (ATT). We featured on Radio 4’s Farming Today regarding our ATT.
- Interherd use and 2 Easi-scanners.
- Farmer training and meetings.
- Full-time veterinary surgeon, average 37 hours/week (plus on-call)
- 15-minute consultations
- Combination of consultations, surgical mornings, farm calls and house visits
- We encourage you to take your lunch break and finish on time whenever possible
- 1-in-6 1st on call and 1-in 6 2nd on call, for weekday nights and weekends.
- Back-up from 2nd on-call vet and nurses available.
- 4.5-day week (1 afternoon off each week Mon-Thur for 5 out of 6 weeks, then 1-in-6 weeks (after a weekend 1st on call, 4-day week with no weekday nights on call (all 5pm finishes) and a long weekend off Fri, Sat and Sun).
- Every week has minimum of two 5pm finishes.
- Fri night on-call is only for the 2 vets working that weekend (so if you’re off for a weekend, you finish Fri 5pm).
- Last consult is 6pm every weekday (except during COVID we are closing the practice at 5pm)
- Ideally looking for someone with at least 1 year experience
We are looking for an enthusiastic vet who wants to work in a progressive mixed practice, competent in small animal medicine/surgery and farm animal.
We would like a team-player, as well as someone who can work well on your own, to high standards.
We would welcome someone who wants to be part of a happy team and feel appreciated.
We would like someone who enjoys seeing clients and wishes to offer an excellent service to them and their pets/herd/flock.
- RCVS, BVA and VDS membership.
- Access to practice memberships as well as practice library e.g. ISFM, BCVA, BSAVA.
- Business and CPD mileage at 45p/mile.
- Landline phone rental.
- Mobile phone provided.
- 5 days funded CPD (interests are encouraged), £1,250.
- Pension (auto-enrolment) 3% employer and 5-% employee contributions.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays (and day of in-lieu of a bank holiday worked 1st on call).
- Regular staff and vet meetings.
- Discounts for staff pets.
- Flu jab annually (optional)
To submit your application click the apply button.
To view our practice, click here.
Apply for Full-Time Veterinary surgeon - Bridport, Dorset
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly