Veterinary Surgeon - Biddulph, Staffordshire
Why do we need another vet? We are very happy that one of our veterinary surgeons is pregnant again, but sad that this means she will be away from us for the next 12 months or so! Having just moved to a much larger premises this is the ideal time to enlarge our team so that when Sarah returns, we will be a 6-vet practice.
We are looking for a full-time veterinary surgeon to work 4 days per week – with your day off protected and the same each week so you can plan in advance. This suits most of our vets perfectly, but we know that one size doesn’t fit all so we are happy to talk about alternative shift patterns. Our OOHs is covered by Vets Now, therefore, we have no bank holiday or Sunday work and no overnight/evening checks. However, this role would include 1 in 4 Saturday mornings (8am-1pm only, with last hour blocked out) with a qualified nurse and 2 receptionists – rota given 1 year in advance!
We offer 20 minute appointments as a minimum (40 minutes for euthanasia or complicated cases) and the clinical freedom to prescribe medication you think appropriate. Same day and emergency only appointments are on the diary every day to try and make sure we have time to deal with those little “extras”. You will get a full hour for lunch, plus time booked to do phone calls. Green spaces/National Trust properties are close at hand if you like to get out of the practice over lunch!
Our team are supportive – whether advice with a difficult case, help in an operation or looking at an x-ray, or with a difficult client or complaint. You will be given the opportunity to use the knowledge that you have, and funding to gain knowledge in areas you find interesting with generous CPD budget and time – if you want to pursue an interest, talk to us about it! We have the space and capacity to cater for most interests, whether medicine, surgery, imaging, ophthalmology, behaviour, or anything else you want to discuss.
We have an environment designed to emphasise wellbeing of staff and patients – large airy reception and consulting rooms with natural light throughout. Regular clinical meetings (in normal working hours) to discuss procedures, developments, problems, CPD, clinical audit, new equipment, ideas and planning. Anything from reviewing premeds and intraoperative analgesia options, to refreshing our CPR skills (including how many chest compressions you can do in a minute without laughing), discussing new equipment we might like to purchase, and passing on our latest CPD learning. Fantastic, supportive and knowledgeable colleagues who enjoy coming to work and know how to work together.
The salary is commensurate with experience and skill set - £32,000-£50,000.
We are based in a semi-rural location in the small town of Biddulph on the Staffordshire/South Cheshire border with lots of local green spaces but still within easy reach of Manchester. We have had a busy 2 years, firstly winning Petplan Practice of the Year 2019 and secondly moving into our amazing new building right before lockdown. You would be joining us at a very exciting time for the practice, as we begin to enjoy and show off the fabulous facilities that we now have. We truly value our staff and have been doing all we can to protect them during the COVID-19 situation. We are still currently working with no clients in the building (except for euthanasia) to protect as many as possible. We could tell you all sorts about our practice – and if you look on our website you will get a much better idea of what we are about - but we think it can be best described by one of our vets:
"Blue House is a friendly, warm and progressive practice like no other with a great big heart at its core. Set in beautiful spacious premises, it is a practice which feels like home. Complete clinical freedom but support from all sides should you need it, 20 minute consultations as a minimum, competitive salary, great CPD allowance, all the expected kit and qualified RVNs who know how to use it! Oh, and 4 days a week!
Blue House understand the importance of a good work/life balance – 100% dedication and care for our clients but also ample time off and a true appreciation for your hard work. If you are looking for a job in which you can progress, feel supported, have the time and resources to be the best vet you can be and be surrounded by a great bunch of people who like to laugh, then look no further. It really does tick all the boxes! Take it from me, Blue House is one of a kind.”
- Well respected single site practice
- High levels of customer service expected and delivered (award-winning reception team of 7)
- Qualified, extremely competent, Nursing Team of 5 (we value the RVN qualification)
- Training practice (but maximum of 1 student to ensure highest quality of training and supervision)
- Approachable, down to earth team of 5 vets who enjoy their job and practice a high standard of medicine
- Visiting specialists in orthopaedics, soft tissue, cardiology, ultrasound
- On site acupuncture service in our unique woodland room
- Outstanding premises!
- Cat Friendly silver certified (including cat only waiting room and cat only consult room)
- Separate cat ward, dog ward (with 6 large walk-in kennels as well as smaller kennels) and isolation ward
- Large prep room, two large surgical theatres with ante room and changing area
- Separate dental theatre including dental x-ray
- Dedicated euthanasia room (with sofa, fireplace and soft lighting)
- Great equipment including digital imaging, ultrasound, multiparameter GA monitoring, tonopen, blood pressure monitors etc.
- Clinical office so you can work at a desk if you need to!
- Private practice garden with picnic table so you can eat lunch outside if you want
- Fully equipped staff room including dishwasher, table to eat at, rocking chair and massage chair - there is even a pool table!
We are looking for someone who has empathy with clients and their pets and a desire to practice good medicine. The ability to communicate effectively with both clients and staff is vital, alongside making clear plans for patient care. We value continuity and knowing your clients and their pets by name. Competence with everyday surgical procedures is expected. We value teamwork and appreciate staff taking part in case discussion and contributing ideas to improve our practice.
We would value a Veterinary Surgeon with a special interest or further qualifications – if ultrasound or cardiology makes your heart beat faster, or you can see yourself as an ophthalmologist, (or any other specialty) then we would love to talk to you. We have the space to set up a whole referral wing if you want it! But equally if you are a great GP then you’ll fit in well too.
Benefits (pro rata):
- 5 weeks paid holiday not including bank holidays
- 5 days paid CPD leave
- £1250 CPD Allowance per annum
- Private Medical Insurance
- VDS Membership paid
- BVA Membership paid
- Service based holiday entitlement increases
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, shared parental leave and surrogacy pay
- Enhanced paternity pay
- Birthday leave
- Discounted veterinary fees
- My Benefits - various discounts including retail & gym memberships
- Cycle to Work scheme
- CPD/training support
- Paid bereavement leave
- Company sick pay
- Employee opinion survey
- Free uniform in a number of roles
- Annual pay reviews
- Social events
- Sponsorship for overseas employees
- Academy & Leadership courses
- Focus on employee wellbeing
- Relocation packages
- Career progression opportunities
- Free flu jabs
As a BAME and LGBT+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long term health conditions, and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch.
To submit your application click the apply button.
Apply for Veterinary Surgeon - Biddulph, Staffordshire
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly