Experienced Veterinary Surgeon for Mixed Practice - Yorkshire
EXPERIENCED VETERINARY SURGEON REQUIRED FOR MIXED PRACTICE
- We are a fifteen-vet practice looking for a veterinary surgeon with enthusiasm for farm or small animal work to join our independently owned, R.C.V.S. accredited practice in rural North Yorkshire (75% farm, 5% horse work, 20% pets). There are 12 vets on the duty rota which is evenly shared.
- High calibre support staff including qualified RVNs
- Excellent, friendly and experienced veterinary team - regular in-house clinical meetings and discussions
- Large and expanding farm client base, with regular routine fertility visits & herd health planning for both cattle and sheep
- Total Vet, Vet Impress, bull/ram fertility testing etc.
- New, spacious purpose-built premises, with large farm dispensary
- Favourable terms for a proactive and enthusiastic approach
This position offers a very varied mix of work, and to a degree the role can be tailored to accommodate an individual’s areas of enthusiasm. It is important that you are happy to deal with all species out-of-hours.
We have a good core of routine fertility & dairy work and very many active beef and sheep clients. We have frequent farm client meetings and aim to engage with our clients in order to improve herd/flock health and production. We have a diploma holder in bovine reproduction, a New Zealand/Australia dairy specialist, an RCVS advanced practitioner in small animal medicine, and certificate holders in both sheep medicine and cattle health and production. We would welcome someone with enthusiasm for herd health and production medicine, and we actively encourage CPD in your chosen area.
An interest in pig medicine is desirable but not essential. We service mainly extensively reared outdoor units with some intensive indoor farms too, requiring quarterly quality assurance visits and involvement with health and production problems. We also service a large poultry and game bird client base and whilst it is not essential for you to contribute to this part of the practice, the opportunity is there if you are interested in flock health and production.
The horse work is all ambulatory, mainly hunters and hacks, as our area is well supplied with specialist horse practices. Horse work includes standing castrations, vaccinations, lameness work ups, ill horses, vaccinations and microchips.
We have recently built a brand-new small animal surgery, with excellent small facilities (2 vet and one nurse consulting rooms, separate large operating theatre, large prep room, separate room for radiography and ultrasound scanning, isolation room, separate cat and dog kennels). Our equipment includes in-house biochemistry, critical care analyser, endoscopes, digital radiography, (both also used for horse work), ECG, dental radiography and ultrasonography.
The duty rota includes both first and second call and is shared evenly between 12 vets. There is also a nurse on duty out of hours, which allows for good support in the emergency situation.
Easingwold is a small market town close to York, and in the middle of beautiful countryside – the Yorkshire Moors and The Howardian Hills, but it is close to main road and rail networks.
To submit your application click the apply button.