Veterinary Surgeon - Buckingham
An opportunity not to be missed! This is rare chance to further your career in a practice that has a forward-looking approach whilst maintaining the traditional values of animal care and client trust.
We are a small animal practice with an excellent reputation for providing high quality care and enjoying what we do. We provide a friendly, supportive environment for our staff with a varied caseload along with the capacity to advance and enhance your skills; so, you get the most out of being in general practice. We have got the brains, the training and the kit: we like to use them.
We are looking for a capable, charismatic, and highly motivated Veterinary Surgeon. The successful applicant will have the ability to work sole charge and an appropriate skills matrix. An ideal start date would be March 2021 however should you wish to start sooner we would consider this too. This is the opportunity for either a less experienced applicant to build on their core skills in a supportive environment or for a more experienced applicant to move into a more senior/leadership role in due course.
We can offer visa sponsorship to overseas applicants and a relocation package is available, along with permanent accommodation nearby if required.
This is a full-time role with a 1:4 weekend rota and time-off in lieu. One half-day off every week and a long weekend after a every weekend worked. We think it essential to provide continuity of care for our patients and offer our own “twilight” OOH cover for emergency cases until 10pm and overnight hospitalisation of any ongoing cases as required. You will work 1 night a week on call, alongside an experienced RVN. These twilight shifts offer you the opportunity to develop your ECC skills, whilst still affording ample downtime. “Back up” is always available if required as we understand that it is not ever in anyone’s interest to be without more experienced advice or assistance if required.
We are a market-town small animal vet practice with a team of six Veterinary Surgeons (5 FTE), five nurses and two trainee nurses providing first class veterinary care at our main site in Maids Moreton and our branch at Cherry Lane. We are available for consultations 7 days a week and are well equipped to deal with both routine and more complex cases.
The main surgery at Maids Moreton (near Buckingham) is equipped with full diagnostic, laboratory, surgical and hospitalisation facilities. We also like to engage our brains. And this combination gives us the satisfaction of investigating and treating our patients to the highest clinical standards but with referral to specialists when appropriate. For example we perform our own cardiac scans, endoscopy (rhinoscopy & otoscopy through to colonoscopy), laparoscopy (90%+ of spays are “keyhole”), fracture repair and stifle TTA’s; and improve the quality of our surgical procedures and outcomes with bipolar diathermy, harmonic scalpels and “Enseal” equipment. Dental x-rays are available at both sites with air-driven equipment, sharp instruments and “Vet-tome” to make “dentals” a pleasure rather than an arduous chore.
All of our vets are actively encouraged and assisted to develop the high level medical and surgical skills that are realistically achievable in general practice, which in turn cements the trust and rapport of our loyal and expanding client base.
- Ability to work sole charge
- Good clinical, inter-personal and communication skills
- Enjoy interacting with and fulfilling the needs of clients and their pets
- Capable of handling more complicated consultations and cases
- Competent surgical skills (e.g. Caesarean section, pyometra) without supervision/assistance
- Able to work sole charge both one day a week at our branch surgery (routine neutering, dentals, and non-complex day-surgery) and at weekends.
- The desire and ability to improve and progress your skills further in general first opinion practice - it doesn’t have to be mundane and can be fun, rewarding and very fulfilling!
Benefits (Subject to pro rata)
- Excellent salary reviewed annually – £40-55K starting range
- Permanent Accommodation if required
- 5 weeks’ annual leave - 25 days plus bank holidays
- Professional membership & indemnity insurance
- Excellent support structure
- RCVS, BSAVA, BVA membership
- VDS Insurance
- 8 miles to Milton Keynes station – 35 minutes to central London (Euston)
- 5 days paid CPD leave
- £1250 CPD Allowance per annum
- Private Medical Insurance
- VDS Membership paid
- Service based holiday entitlement increases
- VDS cover
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, shared parental leave and surrogacy pay
- Enhanced paternity pay
- Birthday leave
- Discounted veterinary fees
- My Benefits - various discounts including retail & gym memberships
- Cycle to Work scheme
- CPD/training support
- Paid bereavement leave
- Company sick pay
- Employee opinion survey
- Free uniform in a number of roles
- Annual pay reviews
- Social events
- Sponsorship for overseas employees
- Academy & Leadership courses
- Focus on employee wellbeing
- Relocation packages
- Career progression opportunities
- Free flu jabs
As a Disability Confident Employer we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long term health conditions, and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
To submit your application click the apply button.
Job Ref: BH1887