Associate Veterinary Officer - Paignton, Devon
6 days left
- Full Time
Paignton Zoo, one of the largest in the UK and a registered scientific and education charity has an exciting opportunity for an RCVS registered vet to join our team.
About the Role
Typical duties of this role include:
- To work with the Living Collections team to maintain high standards of animal health care and welfare.
- To be part of the team that provides 24-hour emergency first aid and pain relief.
- To maintain compliance in disease surveillance, quarantine procedures, notifiable disease and welfare of animals in transit.
- To ensure that accurate clinical records are kept on ZIMS in compliance with the RCVS Code of professional Conduct.
- To support the Living Collections team with animal moves including any essential testing.
- To be legally compliant with all medicines legislation.
- To support veterinary students as required.
- To contribute to excellent biosecurity and cleanliness in the veterinary centre and around the zoo.
- To work with the veterinary team to provide advice and guidance on animal husbandry, health and welfare to the Living Collections teams.
- To undertake firearms training for dart guns and support the firearms team as required.
- To be compliant with all relevant health and safety systems and procedures.
This is a fixed term position for 12 months working 37.5 hours a week.
Interviews are planned for week commencing 25th January 2021.
You will have a minimum of 3 year’s experience in veterinary practice with some experience in exotics or zoo medicine. You will be a team player but also able to work on your own initiative. You will be an excellent communicator and have accurate record keeping skills. Good time management and the ability to prioritise tasks is essential, as are excellent customer service skills. Experience in the use of remote drug-delivery firearms and systems is desirable.
Paignton Zoo offers the following benefits (after probationary period):
- 28 days paid holiday pro-rata (inclusive of Bank Holidays) rising to 33 days’ pro-rata after 5 years
- Company sick pay
- Branded uniform provided (as required)
- Relevant internal and external training provided
- Free entry to our zoos for staff and immediate family
- Complimentary tickets
- Discounts in our Catering and Retail outlets (as applicable)
- Free staff parking
To submit your application click the apply button.