Head Veterinary Nurse - Bedfordshire
My client in Bedfordshire is looking for a forward-thinking Head Veterinary nurse to join their friendly team. This will be working roughly a 40-hour week.
The main purpose of the role is to manage all aspects of the nursing team to ensure excellent teamwork and the highest level of clinical care. To deliver a high standard of nursing care to the patients, assist the veterinary surgeons, liaise with clients with regards to inpatient care and carry out nurse clinics. To deliver and advanced standard of nursing and to support the Student veterinary nurse through their training and the assessment process.
- Maintain professional nursing standards in accordance with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) guidelines
Responsible for the supervision and management of the nursing team in accordance with professional and RCVS standards
- Manage nurses and nursing services (including auxiliary team) by organising the duty rota according to activity/departmental need, anticipating when clinical activity increases/decreases, managing the forward planning of absences and the effective use of temporary staff, ensuring the correct skill mix is in place to deliver care.
- Clinically based, working alongside junior nurses, auxiliaries, and other clinical staff, ensuring the highest level of patient care is delivered.
- To provide consistent, clear, clinical, and professional leadership and act as a mentor for all staff demonstrating professional awareness and accountability in care.
- Agreeing an individual assessment plan with each candidate and ensuring that this plan is reviewed regularly and revised in accordance with progress.
- Employing a variety of appropriate assessment methods to determine candidate competency e.g. observation, statements from candidates and witnesses, professional discussion, questioning and simulation.
- Assessing candidate’s performance and making assessment decisions against the occupational standards.
- Providing the VN student with prompt, accurate and constructive feedback on their performance.
If you feel this could be the next step in your career, please don’t hesitate to get in contact.