Veterinary Laboratory Assistant - Watford
We are a veterinary diagnostic laboratory, and place a strong focus on personal customer care, quality, and innovation. We provide diagnostic services in Haematology, Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology, Cytology, and Molecular Biology. Our highly qualified scientists work closely with our veterinary specialists and laboratory administrators to ensure that veterinary clients and their patients receive excellent service and care.
You join us at an exciting time as we continue to grow and develop our service; our new Molecular Biology service has just started, and we will shortly introduce a new LIMS system. The Laboratory is UKAS accredited to the new ISO/IEC 17025:2017 standard. We are looking for a Veterinary Laboratory Assistant to join our fantastic team in Watford.
You will be experienced in the handling of clinical specimens, with strong organisation and communication skills.
The role will involve the processing of veterinary clinical specimens, data entry into LIMS, maintenance of accurate records, handling of telephone calls, and compliance with our Quality Management System.
This is a full time permanent role, hours include; 8am- 5pm Tuesday-Friday, and 8am -12pm on Saturdays.
- Specimen reception: opening and accurately recording contents, sorting specimens into appropriate sections
- Preparing diagnostic specimens for testing
- Appropriate storage of specimens
- Data entry: accurate and prompt entry of information into LIMS. Be competent to interrogate LIMS to retrieve pertinent information
- Participate in the management of referral specimens and the input of returned results, maintaining accurate logs of specimens
- Document management: scanning, filing and shredding in line with our GDPR commitments
- Handle incoming telephone calls appropriately, answer queries relating to specimens
- Maintain a tidy and clean working environment
- Comply with laboratory health and safety procedures
- Assist in the timely supply of test materials to clients
- Any other assigned laboratory duties, when trained and competent to undertake
- Participate in maintaining the Quality Standards within the department; participate in audits as required
- Participate in the Laboratory PDR Process
Skills & Experience:
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Demonstrable organisational skills, ability to prioritise tasks
- Strong attention to detail
- Resilience: ability to work under pressure in a busy environment
- Ability to work co-operatively in a team environment
- A minimum of 12 months full time experience handling clinical specimens in a diagnostic laboratory