Surgical Veterinary Surgeon - Northampton
Surgery Information / Job Description
“This role has been great for gaining further experience and developing my skills in both soft tissue and orthopaedic surgery. The team are very supportive, actively encouraging and funding further training, and the case load is more than sufficient in both volume and variety for the completion of postgraduate surgical certificates.” – Colin, Surgical Veterinary Surgeon
Are you currently working towards a certificate and struggling to build up your case load?
Are you a surgeon getting frustrated as your skills are not being used?
Do you want to make an impact in a RCVS accredited outstanding small animal hospital?
Or do you just want to do more surgery and less consulting?
Then we could be the practice for you!
An Interest and previous experience in soft tissue and orthopaedic surgery is required for this role. Certificate holders in surgery are desirable but not essential as we are happy to support the study towards certificate level if required.
Being a 9 vet, 24 hour hospital practice the caseload is high and variable. Commonly performed surgeries are cruciates (TTA), fracture repairs, TECABO, perineal urethrostomies, BOAS, skin flaps and similar interesting cases. Our current surgical lead vet is moving back home to Ireland, so we need a replacement vet to take the lead on these cases. The practice is fully equipped with all the toys you would expect, and we provide our own 24 hour care for hospitalised patients needing intensive post op care.
Northampton Vets4Pets is rated “Outstanding” by the RCVS across all 6 awards, and we are super proud to have won SPVS Wellbeing Practice of the Year 2020. We are an RCVS accredited hospital practice, and a dedicated ECC clinic at night.
We are located just an hour from London and Birmingham, and Milton Keynes is 30 minutes away by car. Northampton has great commuter links with airports within an hour’s drive. If you prefer the country life there are lovely picturesque villages and countryside within 15 minutes of the practice, and the local area has many outstanding schools.
Our offer to you:
- Pastoral care, emotional wellbeing and support, mental health first aiders on-site
- Free access to the RetailHub wellbeing service including access to professional support and counselling
- Flexible rota – part time or full time considered
- Enhanced annual leave
- Birthday leave
- Volunteer days paid- paid days off for you to volunteer for your chosen charity
- Free gym membership
- Regular social events paid for by the practice
- No OOH
- 1 in 4 weekend rota - The rota works to a 4 day working week so if you work the weekend, you get the time off during the week, which allows great work-life balance!
- CPD- certificates paid for
- Free onsite car parking
- Pension scheme
- Exclusive colleague discounts
- Discounted pet care
- Welcome handshake’ of £2,000 for direct recruits (no agency fee)
- Relocation package available
- Death in service- 4 times your annual salary
- Paid memberships – RCVS, BVA, VDS, BSAVA
- Salary starting at £50,000 pa for a full-time role, DOE up to £70,000
We have a dedicated night team who provide OOH cover for eight other practices , and we work well closely with the RSPCA and other local charities. We have built exceptionally strong and trusted relationships with our clients and we are looking for a vet who enjoys this side of the role just as much as the clinical responsibilities.
By joining this lovely team you will be working alongside 9 vets, 9 RVNs, 5 student nurses, 5 veterinary care assistants, 5 receptionists and a 2 practice managers. We have two Advanced Practitioners within the team, in Medicine and General Practice. We hold regular clinical meetings, discuss protocols and run an open and honest culture encouraging development, change and support for our colleagues.
Above all else, we value someone who is a team player; committed to our patients and clients; and is keen to be a part of our team!
To submit your application click the apply button.