Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon - Stone & Stafford
Shires Veterinary Practice are looking for a Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon with a minimum of 1 years’ experience within the veterinary industry. The ideal candidate will have the ability to diagnose and treat common medical conditions and be competent in all routine surgical procedures including neutering and dentistry. The successful candidate will be based mainly in our Stone branch but may alternate amongst our Staffordshire branches and which are listed below:
- Eccleshall Road, Walton, Stone, Staffordshire, ST15 0HJ
- 4 Marconi Gate, Staffordshire, ST18 0FZ
- 65 Hoveringham Drive, Eaton Park, Hanley, Staffordshire, ST2 9PS
- Stone Road, Eccleshall, Staffordshire, ST21 6DL
- 2A Newport Road, Gnosall, Staffordshire, ST20 0BL
INFORMATION ABOUT US
Shires Veterinary Practice has been providing comprehensive veterinary care for over 70 years, serving Staffordshire and the surrounding counties in the Midlands.
We pride ourselves on being Staffordshire's first choice veterinary practice, committed to excellence for all our clients and patients. All five of our practices cover routine healthcare amongst pets, farm and equine. We have over 150 years’ veterinary experience in treating farm animals and can also offer routine and diagnostic equine healthcare across Staffordshire, South Cheshire and North Shropshire.
YOUR MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide exemplary veterinary care for all Shires Veterinary Practice clients in the examination, medical and surgical treatment of their animals.
- Be available to provide 24-hour cover within the practice rota for the relief of pain and suffering in animals.
- Liaise and communicate with all staff to ensure the best possible treatments of animals under the care of Shires Veterinary Practice.
- Be flexible in approach, prioritise workload and respond to crisis to ensure the necessary provisions are maintained.
- Review, respond to and contact clients promptly with regard to all laboratory results and clinical reports and ensure all clinical reports are entered correctly.
- Examine, assess and monitor all in-patients on a daily basis, ensuring all hospitalisation records are updated accurately and on a twice-daily basis as a minimum by nursing staff.
- Inform nurses of any changes to clinical care or medication promptly and provide thorough in-patient handover to another Veterinary Surgeon if/when required.
Out of Hours and Home Visits
- Check all in-patients and ensure the security of the centre before leaving and ensure that on call arrangements are in place.
- Take responsibility for the arrangements to monitor and visit all in-patients by the duty vet.
- Ensure that home visits and out of hours arrangements for surgery visits are made following the Shires Vets guidelines concerning personal safety at all times.
- Communicate with clients at every stage of their pet’s treatment, ensuring that they are aware of the estimated costs of treatment and have been given the recommended course of action as stated in the RCVS Guide of Professional Conduct.
- Ensure the appropriate invoicing is completed for all clinical cases.
- Write up all cases in full on a daily basis.
- Be proactive in sourcing CPD training and attend the appropriate courses to keep up to date with clinical developments.
- Take part in in-house training, staff meetings and vets clinical discussion meetings and knowledge share with wider teams.
Health and Safety
- Take responsibility for the safety of clients and staff within the Practice when animals are being handled or treated.
- Ensure familiarity with the Health and Safety Policy including codes of practice and risk assessments
- Comply with correct procedures during radiography including the use of monitoring badges.
- Comply with COSHH guidelines in the dispensing and handling of all drugs
Education - Essential
- Holder of a Veterinary Medicine degree
- RCVS qualified
Knowledge and Experience - Essential
- Will maintain a consistent high quality of work.
- Will have sound awareness of when a second opinion or referral is required either in-house or external.
- Ability to demonstrate reliability in performing tasks accurately within the allotted timescales.
- Will demonstrate the ability and interest to suggest and develop new sound ideas and methods
Knowledge and Experience - Desirable
- Minimum 1 years’ small animal experience
- Familiarity with Windows applications: Word, Excel, email and web-based communication.
Skills and Abilities - Essential
- Competent at routine surgeries including neutering
- Ability to diagnose and treat common medical conditions
- Provide preventative health care and advice to clients
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to update and maintain accurate records
Skills and Abilities - Desirable
- Proficient in providing routine dental care
- Experience of emergency cases
- Full driving licence
To submit your application click the apply button.