RVN - Staffordshire/Cheshire Border
Petplan Veterinary Awards 2019 - Practice of the Year Finalist - Blue House Veterinary Centre
Blue House Veterinary Centre – Practice of the Year 2019
Full time RVN (part time considered) – Staffordshire/Cheshire border
We are sadly saying goodbye to the lovely Danielle and so we need another wonderful RVN to join our award winning team!
We have had a great year, firstly winning Petplan Practice of the Year 2019 and secondly getting the keys to our amazing new site! You would be joining us at a very exciting time for the practice, being in at the ground level helping us plan everything ready for our move early next year.
We could tell you all sorts about our practice – and if you look on our website you will get a much better idea of what we are about - but we think it can be best described by one of our nurses:
"Blue House is a fantastic place to work - the environment is friendly, caring and patient driven. This ethos starts at the top with Kay and Neil (the bosses) and is carried on by all team members. I personally love the fact that I have bosses who actively encourage, support and genuinely care for me as an individual.
The nursing team work almost entirely in the surgical / medical wing, allowing us to exclusively nurse and utilise our training and skill set.
Taking bloods, placing IV cannulas, assisting with surgery and performing schedule 3 procedures are all encouraged, as is CPD.
We are trusted to do the job we trained for, and the RVN / surgeon relationships are relaxed, fun and friendly, with open clinical discussions. Our opinion is valued and any good and actionable suggestions are implemented.
Blue House really is a great practice, and I certainly never have any intention of leaving!” - Joel, Head Nurse
- Independent (and planning on staying that way!)
- Well respected single site practice
- High levels of customer service expected and delivered (award-winning reception team of 7)
- Qualified, extremely competent Nursing Team
- Approachable, down to earth vets who enjoy their job and practice a high standard of medicine
- Visiting specialists in orthopaedics, soft tissue, cardiology
- On site acupuncture service
- Cat Friendly certified
- Separate cat and dog wards
- Dedicated euthanasia room
- Great equipment including digital imaging (plus dental x-ray), multiparameter GA monitoring, tonopen, HDO Blood pressure monitor etc.
Full time permanent RVN role (part time considered) with a team of 4 other nurses (with plans for additional nursing team members to correspond with our upcoming premises move), 5 vets and 7 receptionists.
What is important to us?
We are looking for a qualified RVN who has empathy with clients and their pets and a desire to use their nursing skills. The ability to communicate effectively with both clients and staff is vital. We value teamwork and appreciate staff taking part in case discussion and contributing ideas to improve our practice.
What we think you want – if it’s different then let us know!
- 4 day week – with your day off protected and the same each week so you can plan in advance. This suits most of our nurses perfectly, but we know that one size doesn’t fit all! We are happy to talk about part time or alternative shift patterns.
- OOH covered by Vets Now, no bank holiday or Sunday work, no overnight / evening checks.
- 1 in 3 Saturday mornings (8am-1pm only, with last hour blocked out) alongside vet and 2 receptionists – rota given 1 year in advance!
- Full hour for lunch, plus morning break. Green spaces / National Trust properties close at hand if you like to get out of the practice over lunch!
- Appreciation and respect for what you do!
- Support when needed.
- Utilisation of your skills - our nurses are expected to nurse, not spend their time on reception or doing insurance claims.
- Opportunity to use the knowledge that you have, and funding to gain knowledge in areas you find interesting with generous CPD budget and time – if you want to pursue an interest, talk to us about it! We have the space and capacity to cater for most interests, whether medicine, anaesthesia, schedule 3 procedures, imaging, behaviour, rehabilitation, or anything else you want to discuss.
- The option to contribute to your surroundings and workspace – with an upcoming move into much larger premises over the next few months we are busy planning layouts, colours, furniture, equipment etc. – come and be in at the ground level making suggestions with us! We are even looking into exercise within the working week to start in our new premises – yoga, Pilates, aerobics and more (not compulsory) for those interested in improving mind and body!
- Monthly clinical meetings (in normal working hours) to discuss procedures, developments, problems, CPD, clinical audit, new equipment, ideas and planning. Anything from reviewing premeds and intraoperative analgesia options, (such adding in IV paracetamol as routine in our bitch spays and increasing our opioid analgesia doses) to refreshing our CPR skills and discussing new equipment we might like to purchase.
- Continuous improvement system available to all staff to highlight any issues and suggest solutions
- Independent practice owned by two of the vets working in it but who regularly undertake management CPD.
- Fantastic, supportive and knowledgeable colleagues who enjoy coming to work and know how to work together.
Salary commensurate with experience and skill set. Salary range £19,500-£24,000
Additionally RVN / VDS fees and one professional membership paid
Staff discount scheme
LOCATION: Semi-rural location in the small town of Biddulph on the Staffordshire/South Cheshire border. Lots of local green spaces. Easy reach of Manchester.
To submit your application click the apply button