Veterinary Surgeon - Bridport, Dorset
Recent (ideally 2 years minimum qualified) or experienced Vet required to join great team and practice that enjoy providing high standards of care for their patients. Mixed SA/farm practice. Good work-life balance, 1-in-6 rota nights/weekends. 4.5-day week (and 1-in-6 4 day weeks).
Friendly, supportive, great team of people, some have worked for the practice for over 30 years!
3 directors who run an independent practice.
8 vets (2 are part-time), with a wealth of experience who enjoy working with each other - genuine support.
1 vet working towards a Certificate in Small Animal Medicine (due to finish Nov 2019), other vet’s interests complimenting each other.
Fabulous nurses - all RVNs except 1 trainee VN.
Great reception and support team who really care.
We enjoy showing off our team with our up-to-date website and everyone’s photos are also in the reception area.
Approx 70% SA, 30% farm animal.
Great variety of caseload and mostly lovely clients.
Open 8.30-6pm Mon-Fri and 9-1pm Sat.
We have RCVS Tier 2 PSS for small animal & farm animal and are working towards some ‘outstanding’ awards.
Our aim is to excel in patient and client care as well as look after each other.
We all enjoy doing our best and performing high standards of care. We strive to improve whenever we can. We discuss any interesting/difficult cases and learn from those that haven’t gone so well in order to improve.
We hold regular meetings.
We have our own IT support so that any problems get fixed quickly.
We are cat friendly with separate waiting areas for dogs and cats with stands for cat baskets and a separate cat ward (see our virtual tour on our website).
Purpose-built practice expanded to double the size in 2012 – lovely spacious prep room, dog, cat & isolation wards, 2 theatres (1 dental theatre), imaging room (digital x-ray, lovely ultrasound machine (purchased 2016) and rigid endoscopy). We have 4 consulting rooms (the latest was added in 2018). No branches. Separate client and staff car parks.
We see a fair few holidaymakers over the summer months and associated coastal problems such as dog’s falling from local cliffs (we were on BBC news a few weeks ago re ‘Shadow’ the dog-see our website and Facebook page), dogs swallowing fish-hooks and adder bites.
- Dairy, beef, sheep as well as other species and small-holders.
- CHECS/SAHPS herd/flock accreditation schemes, BVD ‘Stamp it out’ and Red Tractor Health Schemes.
- There is TB testing, but it is shared out between the vets.
- Interherd use and 2 Easi-scanners.
- Farmer training and meetings.
- 1 member of staff currently training as a lay TB tester.
- Full-time veterinary surgeon, average 37 hours/week (plus on-call)
- 15 min consultations
- Combination of consultations, surgery, farm calls and house visits
- We encourage you to take your lunch break and finish on time whenever possible.
- Good all-rounder in general practice, competent in small animal medicine/surgery and farm animal
- Happy to work as part of a team as well as on your own, to high standards
- Someone who enjoys working as a vet in general practice, wants to be part of a happy team and feel appreciated
- Someone who enjoys seeing clients and wishes to offer an excellent service to them and their pets/herd/flock.
- RCVS, BVA, VDS membership.
- Access to practice memberships as well as practice library eg ISFM, BCVA, BSAVA.
- Business and CPD mileage at 45p/mile.
- Landline phone rental.
- Mobile phone.
- 5 days funded CPD (encouraged).
- Pension (auto-enrolment) 3 % employer & 5 % employee contributions.
- 25 days holiday + 8 bank holidays (and day of in-lieu of a bank holiday worked 1st on call).
- 1st & 2nd on call, 1 in 6 rota for weekday nights and weekends.
- Back-up from 2nd on-call vet & nurses available.
- 4.5 day week (1 afternoon off each week for 5 out of 6 weeks, then 1-in-6 weeks (after a weekend 1st on call, 4 day week – a long weekend off Fri, Sat and Sun).
- 1 week in every 6 with no weeknights on call (and 5pm finishes).
- Every week has minimum of two 5pm finishes.
- Last consult is 6pm every weekday.
- Regular staff and vet meetings.
- Discounts for staff pets.
Coastal West Dorset, 2 miles from the beach, Bridport, West Bay, 10 miles from Lyme Regis, 15 miles from Dorchester.
There are lots of holidaymakers who come to this area as it really is very beautiful – with beaches, coastal walks/cycling, lovely places to visit and plenty of hills and picturesque countryside too. Bridport is a bustling market town with a market twice a week & a leisure centre with swimming pool and various events on through the year.
You get to enjoy driving around this lovely area whilst out on house/farm visits and admire the views!
To view our practice, click here.
Apply for Veterinary Surgeon - Bridport, Dorset
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly