Director of Commercial Operations - Glasgow
Are you an inspiring experienced leader with the ability to motivate, empower and drive high performance and strategic development of a diverse team?
If yes, we are currently seeking an exceptional director of commercial operations within our internationally acclaimed veterinary school, voted number 1 in the UK for veterinary science in the 2016 National Student Survey and ranked first in the UK for veterinary medicine in the 2019 Complete University Guide. In this exciting role, you will lead and provide direction on all the operational and commercial activities, as well as identify and execute new commercial opportunities and strategies.
As director of commercial operations you will assume overarching responsibility for the performance of the on campus small animal hospital, equine centre and other revenue generating animal services.
You will provide strategic direction and leadership in supporting clinicians to maximise the commercial performance of clinical and diagnostic services. During a period of wider transformation within the university, you will cultivate a culture of high employee engagement through visible leadership and clear direction. You will be responsible for effective governance in order to maximise the commercial potential of high quality clinical and diagnostic services, which provide an excellent standard of animal care and enhance the national and international reputation of the school and college.
Principal Areas of Responsibility
- Operational Leadership – Accountability for all operational aspects of the small animal hospital and equine centre. Oversee the smooth running of all clinical and support disciplines.
- Commercial Development – Take responsibility for the development, implementation and delivery of relevant commercial activities to drive additional revenue, develop new services and control costs, and maximise market positioning.
- Financial Management – Work alongside the head of college, college head of finance and the university director of finance to deliver the annual plan that ensures the financial viability, sustainability and prosperity of the commercial veterinary services.
- Change Management - Lead the implementation of business and cultural change and improvement strategies agreed by school and college management. Propose on-going strategies that will support and achieve delivery of the school’s strategic, operational and financial targets.
- Service Focus – Understand emerging trends in the sector and ensure that the school is equipped to respond.
- Leadership & People Management – Lead and inspire a high performing team and hold them accountable, collectively and individually, to ensure delivery of agreed objectives, aspirations and goals.
- Performance Management – Define and develop a set of robust targets and KPIs for the hospital ensuring appropriate reporting and monitoring of the financial performance of all activities and specialisms. You shall also work with peers to maintain effective systems for quality assurance, audit and risk management.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation – To drive a culture of continual improvement and innovation across the business.
- Research & Development – Identify key strategic development opportunities for the school.
- Partnership Development – keep abreast of unique and advantageous external relationships and partnerships for the school, and maintain a network of key influencers.
- You will possess a demonstrable track record of commercial and operational success within complex veterinary or healthcare environments. Experience within the veterinary sector is highly desirable but not essential
- You will have held full accountability for all aspects of performance for a commercial service/hospital with turnover in excess of £10m (i.e. strategy, operations, finance, HR, policy development, business planning, marketing, project management)
- Proven experience and track record of leadership and management of a multidisciplinary clinical team/service
- Experience in leading and successfully implementing change
- Experience within a private sector healthcare or veterinary service
- You will be degree qualified or possess demonstrable equivalent extensive training and experience in commercial management
- You must possess effective interpersonal skills with the ability to build and sustain strong working relationships at every level across the organisation
How to Apply
To express interest, please email your CV and supporting statement by clicking the apply button.
A comprehensive information pack will be shared with candidates. This will provide a robust insight into the opportunity, strategy and role requirements.
Closing date for applications: Friday 16th August 2019.