RVN - NW London
Registered Veterinary Nurse – Mayhew, NW10
Do you wish to use your Nursing skills to really help animals in need, Mayhew is a charity that is making changes here in London and overseas. We have a fabulous, modern and fully equipped Veterinary Clinic within a rehoming facility. We offer preventative care to owned animals in the community, as well as treating a wide variety of surgical and medical cases for the animals in our care, whilst they await their new homes.
We currently have a vacancy for a registered veterinary nurse. You will be joining a team of like-minded, passionate individuals with a genuine interest in animal welfare. There is ample opportunity to be involved in all aspects of nursing; from surgical and medical care to running nurse clinics and everything in between.
We have a dedicated night team in addition to dedicated receptionists, meaning you can focus on nursing tasks.
This position is 35 hours a week with shifts as follows:
7.45am – 3.45pm
8.30am – 4.30pm
9am – 5pm
11.45am – 7.45pm
The shift pattern swaps monthly between working Monday to Friday and Tuesday to Saturday.
Recruiting Managers: Gillian Rich and Lindsey Borrego.
Department: Community Veterinary Clinic.
Annual Leave: 25 days per year, plus 8 public holidays.
Salary: Depending on experience between £22k and £25k
Benefits: Buying/selling holiday scheme, Health Scheme, free uniform, stakeholder pension, RCVS registration paid for, Professional Indemnity Insurance paid for, £500 CPD per annum.
Location: NW London. We are surrounded by excellent public transport and are a short ride away from Central London.
To provide the highest standards of care and welfare for in-house and outpatient animals in the Mayhew Community Veterinary Clinic (CVC) and the home in general in accordance with Mayhew protocols and practice.
- To provide treatment to animals as prescribed by the vet
- To maintain high levels of hygiene in the clinic and all associated areas
- To clean and autoclave all surgical instruments and equipment
- To admit animals for surgery and discharge them back to their owners, taking all monies due
- Be a point of contact for members of the public and staff regarding the medical treatment of the animals in our care
- Undertake nursing duties as directed including theatre, ward, laboratory, clinic and euthanasia duties
- Prepare surgical theatre for the day’s operations
- To provide excellent customer service to clients at all times by providing sound and timely advice, ensuring empathy and understanding, dealing with others at all times in a courteous and professional manner
- Promote a positive image of Mayhew at all times
- Be responsible for own learning and practice development and proactively developing skills and knowledge to meet service needs
- Share knowledge and experience with others and to provide support to other members of the night staff team
- Responsible for updating and maintaining accurate clinical records. Maintain appropriate animal and customer records
- Cover telephone and general reception duties as required, in the absence of a Receptionist
All points below are essential pre-requisites for applying unless marked with an asterisk (*). Items marked with an asterisk are desirable in an applicant.
- Registered with the RCVS.
- Veterinary Nursing Qualification
- Experience post qualification or equivalent experience
- Charity or Welfare Work *
- Excellent and Courteous verbal English
- Written communication
- Time management
- Demonstrating skilled time management
- Ability to work in a pressurised environment
- Good Problem Solving and diagnostic abilities
- Administrative and keyboard skills *
- Animal handling – calm and confident
- Professional, caring
- Trustworthy, reliable and good time keeping
- Excellent work ethic
- Team player within the Community Veterinary Clinic and with other internal departments
- Respectful to staff at all working levels
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive issues*
- Driving Licence*
- Work Pattern
- Flexibility around ad-hoc cover of working days/hours, dues to staff absence
To submit your application, click the apply button.