Deputy Nurse Manager - Victoria, London
What is the role?
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Deputy Nurse Manager at our hospital in Victoria, Central London. This role is responsible to and required to deputise for the Nurse Manager.
With significant and proven nursing experience post qualification and experience of directing and supervising nursing and support staff, you will have good interpersonal skills and the confidence to communicate effectively with people at all levels both internally and externally. You will be resourceful, efficient and well organised and have the ability to share information and ideas.
The role is for working 42 hours per week, including weekends and Bank Holidays on a locally determined rota.
Key responsibilities are:
- Undertake all aspects of nursing care, including anaesthetic monitoring, radiography, pre and post-operative patient management, provision of nursing clinics, performing laboratory work and education of the general public with regard to pet welfare
- Sharing responsibility for maintenance of high standards of veterinary nursing, clinical hygiene, cleanliness and sterility, as appropriate, throughout the hospital
- Direct line management of specific veterinary nurses and animal care assistants as directed by the Chief Veterinary Surgeon & Nurse Manager, and to develop and train the nursing and animal care team to deliver the standards of care required
- Sharing responsibility for the day to day running of dispensary, laboratory, nurse clinics, theatres, minor’s areas, kennels and sterilisation areas, in liaison with staff nurses in those areas
- Sharing responsibility for organisation of work rotas, holidays, training and completion of all relevant paperwork for the nursing and animal care teams
- Sharing responsibility for ensuring the hospital is adequately staffed with nurses and animal care assistants on a 24 hour 7 day a week basis
- Recruitment of replacement veterinary nurses and animal care assistants in liaison with other Deputy Nurse Managers, Nurse Manager, Hospital Manager and Chief Veterinary Surgeon
- To ensure that the nursing and animal care teams are aware of, and adhere to, the Health and Safety and COSHH regulations and ensure all risk assessments are current
- Sharing responsibility for the efficient maintenance of client and animal records by the nursing and animal care teams
- Sharing responsibility for the control of the stock of drugs, consumables and food, and the ordering of supplies as required
- Support the Training Practice status of the hospital
- Support the induction, training and integration of volunteers
- Shared responsibility for promoting excellent customer service, maintaining good relationships with clients and the local community and to promote the charitable objectives of the organisation amongst the veterinary profession and general public
- Participate in all aspects of meetings, training & updates on and off site
What is required?
We are looking for people with the following:
- Registered veterinary nurse
- Considerable experience in veterinary practice as a veterinary nurse preferably charity based
- Experience in supervision of other staff members
- Competent in all aspects of veterinary nursing with ability to teach others
- Experience of computerised veterinary record systems, including MS Word/Excel/Outlook
- Training in communication and client relations
It would also be great if you had:
- Advanced diploma in veterinary nursing
- Clinical coach
- Experience of performance management
- Experience of supporting student nurses through acting as clinical coach, NVQ assessor etc
What’s in it for me?
Working for Blue Cross is very rewarding; we have been dedicated to helping pets since 1897! We value our brilliant employees and offer competitive benefits including:
- Salary £21,330 – £28,890 plus London Weighting £3,954 per annum
- Opportunity to work with a fantastic team and great facilities
- Opportunities for career and salary progression
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Pension scheme
- Company Sick Pay
- Life Insurance
Closing date for receipt of applications is 17 August 2018
Blue Cross is a values driven organisation, to view our values then please click here.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response.
To submit your application click the apply button.