Veterinary Surgeon - Bury St Edmunds
We are looking to employ an experienced Veterinary Surgeon. The position can be 4 or 5 days per week.
Eastgate Veterinary Group is an established local veterinary practice that is proud to provide a professional caring veterinary service to the people and pets of Bury St Edmunds, Thetford, Mildenhall and surrounding areas.
The purpose of the role is to provide for the veterinary needs of all companion animals by carrying out and overseeing preventative, diagnostic and therapeutic are in conjunction with colleagues and clients. To have an active interest in medical cases and patients.
Currently we are on an 11 vet cycle (we are still looking for our 12th vet) On an 11 week cycle you would work one weekend on first call which involves being back up for house calls/ in patients from 6:30pm i.e. surgery close on Friday night You would then work Sat 8:30am - 5pm when our partner practice take phones and you revert to backup as Friday night On Sunday take calls from 8:30am to 5pm again with emergency clinic 10-12 and only see emergencies outside that At 5pm phones taken by partner practice and you are backup overnight.
Normally then have 4 or 5 weekends free then work a second weekend which is 9-12am at Mildenhall and then back to First vet rest of weekend Then have 4 to 5 weekends off before next first weekend.
You get Friday off the following week if on first call (or day in lieu if you do not work Friday).
Currently second on call backs up first and after 6:30pm Fridays and 5pm sat and sun very unlikely to get called but at moment still have in place for less experienced vets.
Monday to Thursday we cover calls until 10pm when partner practice takes over as above. We have two vets on, as weekends with the First call vet taking the calls and the Second vet being backup. Generally, have one-night Mon to Thursday on first call one week and a night in second call the following week (calls are rare).
The post holder will:
- Assess all cases, formulating and implementing appropriate preventative, diagnostic and therapeutic treatment plans
- Maintain client relationships, communicating, with empathy, case progress and costs; ensuring informed consent is given
- Assess inpatients, formulate treatment plans, setting or arranging tasks as appropriate liaising with the client and colleagues, including carrying out surgical procedures, operating anaesthetic machines, ultrasound equipment and x-ray equipment as required.
- Liaise with staff at the RSPCA centre providing veterinary care for their animals.
- Undertake and co-ordinate pro bono care of wildlife cases.
- Prescribe veterinary medicines as appropriate, in full compliance with legislation
- Liaise with clients and referral veterinarians in cases referred for specialist opinion, outside the practice.
- Maintain a good working knowledge of current best practice and ensure own development via CPD.
- Work collaboratively alongside nursing staff.
We offer a competitive salary dependent on experience and hours, pension plan, cover professional memberships, support CPD and certificates and provide other benefits associated with a progressive practice.
To submit your application click the apply button.