I started Bridgnorth Vets from scratch in 2003 when I was just three years qualified. I can’t quite believe where the time has gone, as we’re just about to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We recently celebrated winning Best Vets in Shropshire for the third year running at the Best UK Vets Awards and have been in the UK Top 25 practices since 2018! I’m very fortunate that I still love being a vet, and I think it’s because we’ve created somewhere that our team and clients are at the heart of everything we do. Our clients are genuinely lovely, they trust and value our opinions, so when so many practices are struggling with clients placing ever more demands on the profession and causing so much stress to practice teams, we luckily don’t seem to have that issue here. So, if you’re feeling a little jaded and are looking for a place to rekindle your inner fire for the veterinary profession, this might be the place for you. Don’t just take my word for it; I will let my fantastic team speak for themselves.
“What sets our practice apart is the genuine sense of value and appreciation for the contributions made by the whole team. Despite being a small and friendly practice, our professionalism shines through in everything we do. We take great pride in providing top-notch personal service, and the camaraderie among us makes it a fantastic place to build friendships whilst advancing professionally and upholding our values as a popular and trusted family practice.” Lynne RVN, Head Nurse
“I worked at Bridgnorth Veterinary Centre for 5 years after graduation, and I don’t think I could have found a more supportive first job. Bridgnorth itself is a really lovely place to live, and the surgery is roomy and well-equipped. Everyone works as a team, and the nurses are excellent. OOH is covered elsewhere, which also takes away a lot of the pressure. I, unfortunately, had to move from the area but definitely wouldn't have left otherwise, and I still miss my first job!” Alexa, MRCVS
“Family atmosphere in an independent practice. Amazing nurses and support staff that know what you are thinking and can do it before you even say it! Really supported me when I first got here! Lovely clients that you can form lasting professional relationships with. Clinical freedom to do the best for the client and their beloved pet!” John, MRCVS
“Working at an independent practice provides a supportive, family-like environment. Being part of such a small fun-loving team makes coming to work enjoyable, and we have such a lovely clientele contributing to great job satisfaction. Until someone finishes the milk and doesn't replace it, that annoys me!!” Kayleigh RVN (Kayleigh’s lovely, just don’t finish the milk !!!)
“I have worked at Bridgnorth Veterinary Centre for nearly five years, and it has been a joy! I love working with a team that feels like a family that has supported me and given me the confidence and opportunities to grow both in my profession and as a person.” Cassie, VCA
“I love working at BVC, it’s a small, close-knit practice that just feels like an extended family. I enjoy coming to work every day and not quite knowing what the day will bring. Everyone gets on so well, and Sarah is a super supportive boss” – Sarah, Head Receptionist
We’re a two-vet team and looking to become a team of three superheroes.
Before we made the decision to become three vets permanently, Gordon Roberts did a stint working for us as a locum. Sadly for us, he’s heading back to New Zealand, but he had some lovely things to say about working here and summed it up better than I ever could:
“In my time as a locum Veterinary Surgeon at this outstanding practice in Bridgnorth, I've found it to be an unparalleled place to grow and learn. The blend of clinical autonomy, diverse caseload, team collaboration, and innovative approaches are just a few facets that contribute to an enriching professional environment.
The beauty and tranquillity of Bridgnorth, coupled with its rich history, have provided an idyllic setting for my life outside work. Its residents bring warmth and charm to our days, their cordiality only enhancing the joys of living and working in this wonderful town.
Our clientele, more like our extended family, bring a sense of fulfilment and purpose to our everyday work. Their trust and appreciation drive us to continually raise our standard of care and strive for excellence in our services.
One cannot speak of this practice without mentioning the incredible team I have the privilege of working with. Our camaraderie extends beyond our professional lives, shaping an environment that feels like a second home.
The cherry on top of this rewarding experience is our practice owner. She is not only an exceptional veterinarian who consistently prioritises pet wellbeing but also an inspiring mentor and teacher. Her calm and easy-going nature creates an atmosphere of openness and learning, encouraging each one of us to become the best versions of ourselves, professionally and personally.
In a profession where dedication and empathy are paramount, the harmonious blend of our practice and the enchanting town of Bridgnorth creates an immensely satisfying career experience. I would highly recommend working at Bridgnorth Veterinary Centre, where you will be able to take immense pride in being a part of our extraordinary team and make a positive difference in the lives of our beloved small animal companions and their families every day." Gordon MRCVS
So now the facts;
- Life is too short to drink rubbish coffee, so we have an Espresso machine.
- I'm good at surgery and genuinely like teaching, so if you want to get better at surgery, this would be great practice for you – except for really complicated Meccano – I leave that to John Innes and his team at movement referrals.
- I’ve also completed my VetGDP, so new grads are very welcome to apply.
- I’m also really into rehabilitation and chronic pain management, so we have a hydrotherapy unit, K- laser and I do acupuncture. Kit-wise, we have just upgraded from CR to DR, and we have a fab ultrasound. Scope and dental x-ray are next on the shopping list.
- We have a train station in Bridgnorth, but it’s a steam one, so you’re not going anywhere far or fast !!! However, transport links are actually very good. For city lovers, Birmingham is very doable for an evening out and for the outdoorsy type, the Shropshire hills are on our doorstep.
- We have no OOHs, no Sundays, no Bank holidays, a 4-day week and 1: 3 Saturdays (finishing at 12 pm) – As you can see, I want a life outside work.
- Salary is £35,000-£70,000, 5 weeks holiday plus bank holidays and increases with long service. CPD – no set budget, all up for discussion unless you want to study egg bind in the Galapagos tortoise, in which case you’re applying for the wrong job.
- Help with accommodation if you’re relocating.
- Our practice get-togethers are a riot – one of the latest ones was at The Flight Club in Brum, and we're always up for time together outside of work - we even just had a cocktail night round at mine. We all get on really well, but we’re not in each other’s pockets. We also have some keen runners amongst us, but definitely not me!
Hopefully, that’s given you a flavour of what we’re like at Bridgnorth Vets, and if we haven’t completely put you off, or you just want to sample our espresso, give me a call or apply now.