This is the perfect position for a candidate that is passionate in building a career in the veterinary industry. At Greenside we treat a wide range of species across the small animal, farm and regenerative medicine disciplines. Working within a mixed practice setting will include working within surgery, inpatient care , reception and the consulting team. This includes rotating between all area s to ensure the highest quality of care is delivered to every patient. You will help to f acilitate the efficient and effective flow of patients through all disciplines, whilst ensuring the delivery of exceptional care to patients.
Expected responsibilities include:
- Assist with patient handling and restraint. Ensuring that all handling and restraint is carried out in a ‘patient friendly’ approach to ensure no unnecessary stress or discomfort to the patient.
- Prepare and maintain patient accommodation taking into account the condition and welfare of the patient, environmental enrichment and additional supporting aids as necessary.
- In-patient care to include exercising, feeding and grooming of hospitalised patients.
- Monitoring, recording and providing supportive care to patients, under the direction of the Veterinary Surgeon or Registered Veterinary Nurse.
- Assisting with laboratory diagnostic techniques to include preparation of equipment, processing samples and packaging for external laboratories.
- Assisting with diagnostic imaging to include maintenance and preparation of equipment and patient preparation and positioning.
- Cleaning, packaging and sterilisation of sterile supplies.
- Maintenance of theatre to include preparation of the environment and equipment and cleaning.
- Assist with patient preparation, surgical team support and recovery under the direction of the Veterinary Surgeon or Registered Veterinary Nurse.
- Assist with the management of the pharmacy to include unpacking of orders, stock rotation and environmental temperatures. Prepare and dispense a range of medication under the direction of the Veterinary Surgeon or Registered Veterinary Nurse.
- Assist with reception and client care to include answering the telephone, dealing with enquiries, booking procedures and taking payments.
- Assist the Veterinary Surgeons, Registered and Student Veterinary Nurses, Reception staff and any other team member who requires support, where and when required
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of consult room rooms and dispensary
- Effective and efficient communication with client care team to ensure smooth processing of patients through consults
- Support with management of end of life appointments
- Support vets with their appointments - hands on in consult/prepping for next consult/managing waiting room and client expectations
- Demonstrate an excellent work ethic and capability in all patient care assistant duties including a high level of hygiene and the ability to recognise and undertake relevant actions with regards to infection control.
- Attend regular nursing team meetings to review processes and protocols with a view to progressing and improving where possible
- Ensure the risks of nosocomial infections and cross contamination are minimised by practicing good hygiene - maintenance and completion of infection control check lists in all areas
- Accurate record keeping, especially regarding kennel sheets, anaesthetic sheets and hospitalisation records
- Support the maintenance and follow up on any faulty/broken equipment
- Attend team briefings and daily huddles to ensure effective and efficient communication
- Engage with practice projects such as: RCVS P ractice Standard s Scheme , C at F riendly C linic , I nvestors in the E nvironment etc.
- Participate in external and in house CPD
- Encourage and participate in the use of VetSafe
- Comply with the Health and Safety policies for the different areas of the practice/ hospital.
- Adhere to confidentiality relating to all aspect of the business including complying with and assisting with all requirements relating to GDPR compliance.
The successful candidate must have a love of working within an extremely varied and fast paced environment with a team of like-minded people and have experience of working with patients in a veterinary practice . We are looking for someone who will not only go above and beyond for our patients, but for their colleagues too. Candidates will be proactive, enthusiastic, approachable, a great team player, able to use their own initiative and self-motivated. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to multi-task with a flexible approach to working are essential . Benefits
- 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays + Birthday Leave
- RCVS & VDS fees paid
- External CPD funded
- Extensive free online Linnaeus CPD program
- Career progression opportunities
- Staff discount schemes
- Life Assurance
- Enhanced sickness pay
- Enhanced equal family leave
- E-car salary sacrifice scheme
- Employer contribution pension scheme
- Wellness program including:
- Employee assistance program
- Eyecare voucher scheme
- Free annual Flu jab
- Cycle to work scheme
- Recruitment referral reward scheme
Greenside Vets is a mixed practice with a solid farm base and an ever-expanding quality companion animal component. There is no requirement to be involved in large animal work. Our main site is well equipped including; DR x-ray, new ultrasound, dental x-ray, bronchoscopy, gastroscopy, and multi-parameters. We have a growing orthopaedic caseload and perform some advanced soft tissue procedures in-house too. Our purpose-built rehabilitation and stem cell referral clinic includes a hydrotherapy underwater treadmill and qualified veterinary physiotherapists within the team. This is the only one of its kind in Scotland and presents a huge opportunity to our clients and their pets.
We are a welcoming and sociable team who enjoy bringing fun into the workplace as well as organising out of work social events throughout the year.
At Linnaeus, we are committed to supporting the physical and mental health of all our Associates. We have an amazing team of Mental Health First Aiders (MHFA) across our practices and central support office in addition to a confidential Employee Assistance Programme which is available for everyone.