Fancy working a stone’s throw from the beach, in a small independent practice with big plans?
We are expanding and are looking for either a small animal, small animal plus equine, or a mixed vet, who wants to grow their career with us.
About Strand Vets
We are a multi-vet independent mixed practice on the Isle of Man, in a unique and beautiful location overlooking the sea. Although mixed, our largest case load is small animal (around 75-80%), combined with about 10-15% equine work and a smaller amount of farm (mainly dairy) practice. We also work with local charities to care for the wild birds of the island.
There is so much opportunity here to grow your knowledge and your career. We are a relaxed and flexible practice and will work with you to develop which ever aspect of practice is your passion, whether this is small animal, farm, equine or all three. We will give you all the tools and support you need, whether that’s through mentorship, training or investing in new equipment. We are always looking forward and have recently invested in laparoscopy and are happy to train our new vet in this skill.
We have grown rapidly since Ciara, the principal vet, took over the practice in 2009 and we are now a 4/5 -vet practice and are continuing to expand. Our ultimate goal is to build the island’s first veterinary hospital, as well as a dedicated equine practice and we have taken our first steps towards this goal by purchasing the new premises for the equine clinic . There is also scope to increase the farm side of the practice if this is your passion.
We have a good work-life balance to enjoy the amazing surroundings and finishing consulting at 6.30pm, keeping the last few appointments for emergencies only. We are flexible and are happy to accommodate a 4-day, 4.5-day week or part-time whichever you prefer, currently with a 1: 4 share of weekends.
Our out-of-hours are generally quiet, however if you are called out you will receive 1/3 of the professional fees generated, which last year, for one vet, was around an extra £8,000 on top of their salary.
We are a very supportive team and have a zero-tolerance policy for abuse towards our staff, but fortunately we have rarely had to enact it. We are confident in the way that we do things, and we always want to be able to do our best. Sometimes that has unfortunately meant telling clients that we are just not the right fit for them.
We are also able support new graduates and will fully fund the Grad-to-Vet scheme or the Vet Dynamics Academy during your first year with us. We have a great track record for taking care of new members of the profession; our last new graduate settled with us for 5 years, only left for family reasons and had gained so much experience here she was able to step straight into a clinical director role.
About the Isle of Man
- The Isle of Man is a self-governing British crown dependency located in the Irish sea, roughly halfway between England and Ireland. Travel links between the Island and the UK and Ireland are good, with frequent ferries and flights
- It’s an incredibly beautiful island, just 33 miles long and 13 miles wide, and is renowned for its stunning countryside and coastlines. It’s generally a very quiet and safe place to live, although we get a yearly shot of adrenaline when the TT motorcycle races come to town!
- We have low taxation on the Island so you will have more money in your pocket than an equivalent mainland salary.
- Salary ranges from £34,000 for a new grad, up to £65,000 for an experienced colleague plus a generous OOH bonus ( see above) .
- Unlimited CPD budget and we are happy to support certificates.
- Grad to Vet Programme or Vet Dynamics vet academy for new grads included in new grad package.
- Paid membership subscription costs for your area of interest.
- Relocation package available and we can offer assistance with a visa application for the right applicant.
- Accommodation may also be available, if needed, to help your find your feet.
If you would like to discuss the role further, please do not hesitate to pick up the phone for an informal pre -application chat or if you’d like to apply, please apply to CV@vettimes.co.uk or press the apply button now. We would also be happy to fully fund an interview to meet us and see our amazing island and practice.