Veterinary Surgeon required at Portland House Vets, Retford
Portland House Veterinary Group are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced small animal veterinary surgeon to work as a permanent member of staff within a well-established veterinary practice in Retford. The role will involve hands-on veterinary care of small animals, providing both emergency and routine healthcare. You will work alongside other veterinary surgeons, as well as experienced nurses.
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 6pm and 1:3 Saturday mornings (8.30am to 12pm). There’s an optional out of hours rota as well, currently sitting between 1:5 – 1:6. The out-of-hours will involve inpatients, surgery, stabilising patients until the morning or advice calls. However, we’re happy to support applicants that don’t want to cover this.
Our people are at the heart of everything that we do, that’s why we know that work-life balance is vital in supporting our people to be their best selves. Our flexible approach to rota patterns and working hours offers a balance that truly flexes with you and your lifestyle no matter what stage you are in your career.
What’s on offer?
- A salary of up to £63,000 depending on experience
- Relocation support of up to £5000
- A welcome bonus of up to £5000 (pro rata) for new hires
- Excellent development opportunities, as well a full certificate support
- A varied and interesting caseload with a good balance of surgical and medical work. There’s scope for orthopaedics as well
- Flexibility with hours/duties, part time applicants are welcome!
Key Responsibilities include;
• Small animal surgical procedures
• Minor procedures
• Client liaison
• Working up cases
• Caring for hospitalised animals
• Treatment plans
• Sole charge
Rota; Monday to Friday 8.30am to 6pm and 1:3 Saturday mornings (8.30am to 12pm). There’s an optional out of hours rota as well, currently sitting between 1:5 – 1:6. The out of hours will involve inpatients, surgery, stabilising patients until the morning or advice calls. However, we’re happy to support applicants that don’t want to cover this. We’d love to hear from part time applicants as well.
Portland House Veterinary Group has been working in partnership with clients in and around the Retford area in one form or another for over 50 years. Our main practice is in central Retford and consists of 12 vets (including a certificate holder in small animal medicine),9 RVNs and 2 SVNs with experience ranging from new graduates to 29 years. We have a fantastic team of support staff and a lovely loyal client base with both large and small animal.
From Retford we provide services for farm and small animal clients as well as wildlife parks and equine clients. We pride ourselves in providing excellent patient, client and employee care. We are well equipped with an ultrasound with Doppler and ECG, digital DR x-ray, dental x-ray, video endoscopy and a full internal lab. We are a welcoming and friendly team who are enthusiastic and dedicated to working together as a team. You’ll always have access to a dedicated mental health first aider. We’re a very social bunch! The team regularly meets up outside of work. We have regular pub quizzes, our annual summer BBQ, some of the team participates in the Tough Mudder event as well! We believe strongly in delivering exceptional service and care to our clients and their pets.
Here's what the team have to say about life at Portland.
- 'Working at Portland House Veterinary Group has allowed me to gain valuable positive experience in a mixed practice environment. I have learned an incredible amount, and there are always many new varied and exciting cases to be involved with. This has allowed me to grow as a vet and become more confident and independent. The team itself is lovely and inclusive, and it is easy to make friends with people in all different roles of practice. Everyone is very helpful and the team works together to provide the best care for the patients and clients.' – Iona, Veterinary Surgeon.
Our ideal candidate should possess excellent communication and organisational skills and have experience in a busy small animal practice with confidence in a range of surgery. An interest and experience in Orthopaedics would be beneficial however not essential.
Qualifications: A degree in Veterinary Surgery.
Experience: Post-graduate experience as a Veterinary Surgeon in the UK.
Compliance: Registered with the RCVS.
Travel: Clean UK driving license with the ability to commute to and from work independently.
Because our employee’s matter
We recognise that our people are fundamental to the success of our business. Investing in our people, premises and processes is at the heart of what we do. In addition to a competitive base salary, you will benefit from
Work life balance
• 6.6 weeks annual leave, including bank holidays
• Increasing holiday allowance based on length of service
• Your birthday as a paid day off
• Private medical insurance
• Enhanced family-friendly policies, including maternity/paternity/adoption/shared parental and surrogacy pay
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Initiatives focused on employee wellbeing
• Non-accidental injury support
• £1500 CPD allowance with 5 days paid pro rata
• Certificate support
• Learning and development opportunities via the IVC Evidensia Academy
• Access to Vetlexicon – our online encyclopaedia provider
• All our Vets & Nurses can apply for research funding
• All our Vets get £1000 per annum to spend via our Care Fund
• Infection Prevention and Control Programme
• Quality Improvement Programme
• BVA membership
• VDS cover
• RCVS fees
• +1 Additional membership
• Pawsome Benefits – reward gateway giving discounts and cashback with 100’s of retailers
• Pension – 5% Employee/3% Employer
• Discounted staff pet care
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long term health conditions, and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch. Quote BH10134 when applying for this role.
To submit your application, click the apply button.