University of Nicosia Medical School
About University of Nicosia Medical School
The University of Nicosia (UNIC) has pioneered medical education in Cyprus, establishing the first Medical School in the country in 2011. It is the largest academic medical community in Cyprus with staff, faculty and students from more than 63 countries.
The Medical School Alumni are working in world-class medical centres around the world evident by the successful 99.4% placement rate for graduates. The UNIC Medical School has become renown in Cyprus and abroad for its innovative, quality education, faculty research and community service.
The Medical School espouses the holistic concept of One Health, which emphasizes the relationship between the health of humans and animals within a healthy, sustainable environment. We aim to achieve excellence in teaching, research, community service and patient care.
We are committed to the provision of innovative, student-centred and high-quality education, which is based on the best available evidence in current medical pedagogy. We are also committed to systematically fostering original research in the basic, clinical, social and behavioural sciences and, to serving and improving the health of the population through outreach, service and patient care services.
We aim to produce competent graduates, committed to life-long learning, who can pursue further training in their field of choice and will be competent and successful practitioners, teachers, administrators and researchers. Our School’s graduates make patient care their highest priority.
Our Core Values
- Student-centred education – We strive to maintain a supportive learning environment that promotes and encourages student interaction and feedback. The student-centred curriculum allows for the early development of clinical skills and reasoning, and promotes collaborative learning, critical thinking and reflection, skills that are essential for a career in medicine.
- Excellence in teaching and research – We deliver teaching and conduct research of the highest quality and we equip students with the knowledge, skills and confidence to succeed in their chosen medical career path. This is achieved by means of the most up-to-date and quality assured curricula and assessments, which are implemented in a multicultural and supportive learning environment.
- Excellence in patient care – We provide high quality primary care services based on a comprehensive, holistic and evidence-based approach.
- Social Responsibility – We regularly and actively contribute to society through outreach events, and other initiatives, with the support of our faculty, staff and students.
- Professionalism – We adhere to the highest professional standards and we expect our students to demonstrate professionalism, during their studies and beyond.
- Equality and Diversity – We are committed to the promotion of equality and respect, and embrace the individual, social and cultural diversity of the student community.
- International Partnerships – We maintain successful partnerships with leading institutions, which enables the sharing of knowledge and expertise in medical education and research, while providing our students with opportunities to gain international research and clinical experience.
- St George’s, University of London Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), a 4-year graduate-entry British medical degree quality assured by the UK General Medical Council and awarded by St George’s, University of London
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), a 6-year undergraduate-entry degree
- Master of Public Health (MPH), a fully online degree for working professionals and new graduates
- Master in Family Medicine (MSc FM), a degree for practising doctors delivered entirely online
- Master of Science in Health Services Administration (MHSA), a fully online degree for working professionals and new graduates
- Doctorate in Medical Sciences (PhD), for research in all disciplines or specialties of Medicine
More than 850 students from 64 countries around the world are enrolled in our Medical School, coming from as far away as the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Our graduates are practising physicians across the world, including the USA, Canada, UK, Australia other EU countries, Israel and Lebanon.
The 2020 Times Higher Education (THE) University Impact Ranking, ranked the University of Nicosia as the number 42 university in the world in the core area of Quality Education, and among the top 301- 400 universities globally in terms of its overall social and economic impact. UNIC is consistently ranked among leading universities regionally. The QS World University Rankings has recognised UNIC for two years running in the Emerging Europe and Central Asia (EECA) Region, with the University ranking number 91 among 1,800 tertiary institutions across 24 countries.