Colne Valley Veterinary Practice
About Colne Valley Veterinary Practice
The Colne Valley Veterinary Practice was founded in 1947 and was initially based in a small building behind a house in Military Road in Colchester. In those early days there were two vets and their practice treated both large and small animals. The Practice steadily grew until it occupied not just the buildings behind the house but the house itself.
In 1995, we ended our services for large animals and concentrated entirely on domestic pets. We are now classed as a 100% small animal veterinary practice and we are an accredited small animal general practice in the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons practice standards scheme.
By 1998, we had outgrown our Military Road home and we moved our main premises to a new purpose built site on Maudlyn Road in Colchester. This is where we continue to be based today. Our building is large and well equipped with five consulting rooms and a large dispensary. We have excellent surgical facilities and we are very well equipped with diagnostic tools such as an x-ray machine, an ultrasound machine and several endoscopes (cameras that allow us to look into animals' lungs, stomachs and intestines.)
We also have a well-equipped practice laboratory. Our building has separate kennel rooms for cats, dogs and exotic pets. In short, we enjoy working in a large, comfortable and well equipped veterinary practice.
We have five full-time veterinary surgeons and four part-time veterinary surgeons working at the practice. In addition, we employ nine qualified Veterinary Nurses (six of whom are full-time.) We are a vet nurse training practice. We have a full time kennel maid. We have a practice accounts manageress, nine part-time receptionists and four cleaners.
Our practice is constantly evolving and adapting to take onboard new ideas and to take on new challenges. All our vets and nurses regularly attend courses and meetings to keep up to date with new techniques and ideas in the veterinary world.